5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

347 stroker kit question

Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Poppajac
WOW, this is a great post.

I have been wondering the same since I want to build something as well. I have beem looking at some cars and asking questions but honestly have been a little scared about buying an already worked car. I have thought about buying a running SSP car that is for sale locally and that is in pretty good shape and having the motor worked and putting a turbo/supercharger in.

Is there any place better than others to buy the h/c/i from. I will do some checking on this forum to see what type of h/c/i people are recommending for a boosted build.
DEPENDS......what is your budget??? there are many different h/c/i's you can buy..........my 306 consists of an FTI custom cam, eddy rpm heads , stock bottom end and ported cobra intake, for what it is , it's decent power wise
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Poppajac

Originally Posted by mjr46
DEPENDS......what is your budget??? there are many different h/c/i's you can buy..........my 306 consists of an FTI custom cam, eddy rpm heads , stock bottom end and ported cobra intake, for what it is , it's decent power wise
I have between 6-8K to spend on the motor and a few odds and ends on the car. I know I need to replace the rear gears and it currently has an auto tranny.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

next what is the current state of the car and goal for it??
Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Poppajac

Originally Posted by mjr46
next what is the current state of the car and goal for it??
Thx for all the help mjr46,

The car overall is in very good shape and runs and shifts ok. The motor is a 5.0 HO that is bone stocks and runs out fine. My thoughts were to buy the car, work the engine...well have someone else do it since I have no idea, and my sons and I work on neverything else. I was hoping to get a stroker kit and have the motor built so that I could add a turbo/supercharger once I saved for it.

I want to make a sleeper street/rarely strip car. I would like to run it a couple of times to get an average ET on the car. For most part though the car will be used to take my 9 year old to school from time to time and just cruise, he loves drag racing and cars.

Poppa
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Poppajac
Thx for all the help mjr46,

The car overall is in very good shape and runs and shifts ok. The motor is a 5.0 HO that is bone stocks and runs out fine. My thoughts were to buy the car, work the engine...well have someone else do it since I have no idea, and my sons and I work on neverything else. I was hoping to get a stroker kit and have the motor built so that I could add a turbo/supercharger once I saved for it.

I want to make a sleeper street/rarely strip car. I would like to run it a couple of times to get an average ET on the car. For most part though the car will be used to take my 9 year old to school from time to time and just cruise, he loves drag racing and cars.

Poppa
well with 6-8 k you should be able to get a decent motor prepped, remember, the stock block will have it's limitations , expecially boosting it, a stroker and boost will be able to easily push a stock roller block to it's limits and a good tune will be a must by a professional for a boosted application so fuel and spark tables are within safe limits, Imo I'd choose a 331 stroker, only because the boost will be more than adequate to make up for a few less cubes than a 347, planning for boost, then you'll need a dished piston and for heads, I'd get a set of tfs fast as cast heads for the stroker and maybe a trick flow r-intake or victor jr efi, you'll need to decide , how much boost you wanna run and will it be turbo or supercharged???, for a good build, check out www.fordstrokers.com:)
Old 11-19-2009, 02:28 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

The biggest thing to remember in this particular thread is the stock block's limitations... which is commonly agreed to be around 500 at the wheels, and like mjr said, at these higher power levels TUNE IS ESSENTIAL FOR LONGEVITY. If you want that radical of a build, you just gotta decide how you wanna get there (high comp stroker with big h/c/i + spray, 306 + boost)...

If youre wanting REAL big power levels, youd have to look to an aftermarket block (FRPP BOSS, DART, man-o-war). With a build like this, 'budget' cannot be a factor. The short block alone would cost about 5 grand.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:49 PM
rmcmich

Hey everyone. I have been away for a long while. I stepped away from my obsession due to unemployment. But have recently opened up all of my previous research and am thinking about getting everything together to start building a 347.

In my research I found that for about 6K you can build a 500hp 347 or drop 6k into a turbo and supporting mods to get to the magical 500hp limit of the stock block. These prices were what it would cost if I did the work and not had a shop build and install.

If I am wrong and full of garbage please say so, but this is what I found so I decided to build the 347 since the 302 is WORN OUT.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

most of this comes down to how much $$$$ you got to spend and how fast do you want to go or how much HP you think you need to make. If you want to make over 500 hp for any amount of time and stay in a budget just walk away form the 8.2 deck stuff and move up to the 9.5 stuff better block and more cid right off the bat.. IMO
Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by rmcmich
Hey everyone. I have been away for a long while. I stepped away from my obsession due to unemployment. But have recently opened up all of my previous research and am thinking about getting everything together to start building a 347.

In my research I found that for about 6K you can build a 500hp 347 or drop 6k into a turbo and supporting mods to get to the magical 500hp limit of the stock block. These prices were what it would cost if I did the work and not had a shop build and install.

If I am wrong and full of garbage please say so, but this is what I found so I decided to build the 347 since the 302 is WORN OUT.
create your own thread and do it in gen disc not tech