5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

aluminum shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:35 PM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

Default aluminum shaft

I been having this vibration ever since I changed my u-joints. I went to Ford and asked them what it could be and they told me that the Drive shaft that I have isn't ment for 3.73 gears and that I need to buy an Aluminum Drive Shaft. I wanted to know how true that is or any ideas on what could be making my car shake at 55-70 mph.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: aluminum shaft

You could possibly damaged the drive shaft while changing the u joints.And that is a first for me about your drive shaft won't work with your gear WTF???lol,Anyways there's a couple of things that could cause it and are you sure it is a driveline vibration.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

Well I think so. I bought a complete rear end from this guy that only had like 5k on it. I didn't have that vibration in the car until I changed the u-joints. One of the u-joints(new one) was bad and replaced it. The vibration was alot worse but once I changed the u-joint the vibration was a lot less but is still there. I don' know what else it could be. I know that I need to put some trans fluid in it because it did leak out when I took the drive shaft out.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 PM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

Hey I was thinking about something. Could be possible that it could be a trans mount? Just an idea.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:24 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

you could have bent one on the ears..unlikely but could happen have you gread them after install?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:59 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Did you use 14$ u-joints?If so I'd get ford replacement parts ,they give you a lifetime warranty on those crap parts cause you need it they suck.I bet with good u-joints it will be gone.What Vfast said could be to did you whack the hell out of it?And as far as not being able to use that shaft,Thats CRAP you can use that.Do you still have the vibration weight(cant think of name[:@]) on your rear end?If you do take it off see if that helps.That weight is only for stock gears and you dont have them.Plus it weights like 40 pounds...Alright maybe 20
Old 07-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yeah My car get alot of vibration around 60mph too. I dont know what it could be, I also changed the U joints but I still got a bad vibration, then I had to replace my tranny for another reason and after I did that it seemed like it got worse. I took A look at my driveshaft and it looks like there some welding slag towards the back of it, Donno maybe the person who had the car before me tryed to fix the driveshaft by welding it back together. I really need to fix the vibration its really getting on my nerves.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:47 AM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

I bought some Brute Force u-joints that cost something like $24. After I took the drive shaft again I noticed that the rear u-joint clicked at the same point when moved. After I replace it the car didn't vibrate as much but still had a little. I still have the weight on the shaft and I really don't feel like taking it off because of the fear that it will be worse. I did notice the that weight was a little loose but I don't know if that will be enough to make it shake. The u-joints that i bought are the non-greaseable kind, so no I didn't grease them after the install. So do you think that the trans mount would make is vibrate a little?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Mine U-joints were loose also and had a droning vibration at and above 70MPH. I replaced them with NAPA ones using a U-joint/ball joint press. It did get a lot better, yet you can still here it and feel it at faster speed. Rangers have this problem too and TSBs state to replace with an aluminum one. See, your stock driveshaft is balanced for spinning at 2.73 speeds, and now with a higher ratio it's spinning faster. Another thing to check (and I'm sure it's what I'm going to need also) is the play at the yoke that slides in the rear tranny housing. There's a bushing that wears out and allows slop which can also make the output seal leak too, even when it's new, my problem also.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

blkgt , since this won't cost anything take your drive shaft loose & turn it half around & put it back & see if vibration is gone.

Quick Reply: aluminum shaft