5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Default Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

What's Up Fellas!!

Have an issue.......need some advice

Brought the Fox in to recharge the A/C over the summer, and the mechanic found a coolant leak on the front of the intake (just at the base of the Distributor).....which I never saw......never had any puddles under the car..........and since then, it is dropping MAJOR amounts of coolant. Do you think this guy poked a hole in the gasket?

So, I am going to replace it..........picked up the gaskets from Summitt

My question, How much do I need to dismantle to replace it? Can I leave the Distributor and all accessories in place? Anything to look out for? Any tricks of the trade that you can offer?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

take the lower intake off witht he dizzy still in place is a bit tricky. i've done it but its just much easier to pull it.

once you pull your plenum and lower intake make sure you scrape all gasket mating surfaces clean. rtv or high temp silicone the back and front of the lower intake and ditch the rubber/cork lower intake gaskets.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you'll have to strip it down to abuot this far...give you a good chance to clean stuff up. you dont have to pull the accessories...but that picture is when i was doing my rebuild. so thats why the motor is out and everything is off it.

it'd more look like this for you, then pull the dizzy and lower intake

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 12-03-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

A very fast and easy way to remove/replace the distributor is to mark a line on the rotor and make a mark on the cap to line up when reinstalling. Do the same at the base of the distributor in relation to the block. When you pull the dizzy out you will see that the rotor rotates just a little bit. If you dont move it you can just line up the dizzy to block marks and it should slide right back in and cap and rotor will line up again. line up the block/dizzy again and put your bolt in
make sure all of the gaskets come completely off
Old 12-03-2009, 02:01 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

So I can leave the accessories............Cool!

Mark the Dizzy.......Not a problem

What about the ThrottleBody/EGR..........can I leave those attached to the upper manifold and pull it all out together? Or do I need to separate them...............?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

You can leave them, just disconnect your throttle cable(do you have an auto or manual??)
Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
You can leave them, just disconnect your throttle cable(do you have an auto or manual??)
Manual...

That good, because I don't have the gaskets for them...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 PM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CantStopTheFox...
What's Up Fellas!!

Have an issue.......need some advice

Brought the Fox in to recharge the A/C over the summer, and the mechanic found a coolant leak on the front of the intake (just at the base of the Distributor).....which I never saw......never had any puddles under the car..........and since then, it is dropping MAJOR amounts of coolant. Do you think this guy poked a hole in the gasket?

So, I am going to replace it..........picked up the gaskets from Summitt

My question, How much do I need to dismantle to replace it? Can I leave the Distributor and all accessories in place? Anything to look out for? Any tricks of the trade that you can offer?

Thanks in advance!!
I see that you have the Trick Flow topend, hind-site is check for a hairline crack between the temp sensor and intake bolt. I have seen several issues like this especially on stock intakes. Just something else to take a good look at!!!!!! Mac
Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Finished the job...Looks like it was a success!

After I started it, there was a HEAVY amount of White Smoke coming out of my exhaust...(i knew some coolant was going to need to burn off, but it was a LOT!?!). After about 5 min, it cleared up...idles perfectly, stat opened & heat worked, and most important..................................NO LEAKS!!

Going to change the oil this morning to clean out anything else that settled......but wanted to hit you guys up first to give you the update........thanks again!!