5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Got a free 351, Tons of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Grandmaster
1st Gear Member

Default Got a free 351, Tons of questions

Well one of my buddies is pretty gracious to me because i've been letting him drive my tracker around since about the beginning of summer. Anyways, he is giving me a 351W that ran, but it needs heads and gaskets.

I am wondering if installing heads would be something i can do myself, with some help maybe?

My 89 Mustang is EFI, will the computer handle the 351, or should i just go to carb? If carb then what kind should i get?
Will 302 headers for the exhaust work on the car or do i need to buy some of them too?

302 intakes work on the 351 right?

How hard would the engine swap be to do? Pay someone or do it yourself?

If i rebuild the engine should i go with a stroker kit? Is there any problems with these? I dont' plan on s/c'ing, or putting NOS on this pig though.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got a free 351, Tons of questions

Installing heads is not hard, but setting up the rockers may require some advise.
302 headers may be on the small side, unless they are 1-5/8" primaries
302 intake is too narrow for the wider 351
Swap just takes time and patience and lift
Stroker equals more torque and power
Don't know about the other questions...
Old 07-21-2005, 10:54 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

the headers wont work due to the extra deck height on the 351 although several companies make headers for the swap and as someone else said the intakes won't work and i have called jegs and summit on that one to clarify that one. ummmm.........i doubt ur computer will work unless its redone. And if ur tearing it apart pretty much i would go ahead and stroke it thats what i am going to due to mine as soon as money is available but car insurance on a mustang is very expensive. anyways back the point chp makes several different stroker kits for ur application since it sounds ur wanting to keep it streetable; personally i would either go with the 393 or 408. hope it works out for you and keep us updated
Old 07-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Grandmaster
1st Gear Member

Ill probably just go carb on the 351. And I am going to go with a 427. I mean hell if you're going to do it, should go nuts. Now i read somewhere that stroker kits mess up with the rings and oil distribution. Is that true?

Now if i ditch the computer i dont need it for anything but the engine right? So just take it out and have at it? I think it will be easy because my A/C and heater i dont use. So all i need to make sure hooks up on the engine is the pump, power stearing, alternator right?

My T5 has updated syncro's and it's built already, should be able to handle the stroker right? As long as i dont reef on it too often
Old 07-22-2005, 04:15 AM
HungLow5.0
2nd Gear Member

If you really want to do a 427, I would not stick with a T-5. Even if it is beefed up, the torque will eventually tear it apart and your going to have to replace it again further down the line. Personally, I would either get a good C4 or C6 and use that or go all out and convert to a T56.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:17 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

t-5 is a nono
Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

there are no problems with oil rings anymore. that was with the old 347s. u will need some accessory brackets (FRPP), headers, motor mounts, oil pan, and all the carb stuff. if u have a 427, ide go with a 750 carburetor (especially with a new cam). for trannies, PA makes soem gereat C4s that would bolt right onto ur engine and give u a very well performing tranny. if u want to go manual, look into tremec tko-600s and t-56s
Old 07-23-2005, 12:05 AM
oneshot
2nd Gear Member

go with the carb.go with a demon or a holley but that is just my input.and go with the stroker kit .
Old 07-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Grandmaster
1st Gear Member

Alright guys here's the plan. I will be getting my other vehicle back in early august. Then I will hold off on getting the thing painted. I will go get the block and inspect it. If possible, probably rebuild it myself depending on how much material i can find on it at the library. Over the winter i will accumilate everything i need. I am going to stay with EFI. Pull the engine and the tranny and sell them. (Let people take the car for a ride and listen to the engine becuase they buy. You can pull the 302's and the tranny's in what 4 hours max?

Pull the engine and tranny and sell it for however much. Then i put the rust of the car in my garage for it to sit. (Northern Maine winters are hard on ****) I will probably attempt to install the stroker kit myself, maybe with some help. I will start browsing for a good transmission too.

Incase i end up having to do any repairs, the built t5 can handle a stock 351 though right? Probably drag once every 2 months if that, highway cruising, the usual. If i dont thrash it all the time im hoping that you guys will say yes it will hold up.

When i get the block and **** ill take a bunch of pictures, that way you guys can tell me if its worth it or not. What should i inspect?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:56 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

with a 427w you better have some hi flowing heads

Quick Reply: Got a free 351, Tons of questions