5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

(TEMP GAUGE NOT WORKING) COMPLICATED!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
FO-MO-CO

Default (TEMP GAUGE NOT WORKING) COMPLICATED!!

my coolant guage is not working. it stays in one place even after the engine has reached its operating temperature. I checked and the car and it has no thermostant. the actual coolant sensor was hand tightened and the lower intake. and another sensor that goes to the black egr coolant rails is not connected. actually its missing the coolant rails, the egr spacer has no coolant lines, and the water pump hose is plugged with that particular sensor that belongs on the egr rail for the coolant.

when the guage wont show the temp, is the coolant sensor at fault?? or something else?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:30 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

First off be sure that youre messing with the correct sensor. the one for the gauge is on the drivers side of the lower intake, a 1 wire hookup. in most cases the wire end will be an L shape. then take that wire off and ground it out. this should cause the gauge to pin itself as hot as it can read. if that doesnt work, something
Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Besides the sensor is at fault. the wiring goes straight to the dash, so not much chasing involved, but the gauge itself could be bad too.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Another thing to consider is the fact that the computer has no idea what temp the motor is at. The wire that plugs into the black tubes attaches to the sensor that tells the computer your current water temp. This is a critical piece of info that the computer needs to make your car run well. Those black tubes also feed the heater so are you cold?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
FO-MO-CO

yea, i guess i was messing with the wrong sensor....i remember seeing the other 1-wire sensor on the driver side of the intake...so i just ground the sensor????
Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Ground the wire itself. grab a piece of spare wire and jam it in the connector end and then ground the other end securely, then go check the gauge.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:17 AM
FO-MO-CO

im going to try that as soon as possible...oh and that little sensor is called the "temperature switch" right?? i just wanna understand why it would stop working? would it be better just to buy an aftermarket TEMP gauge, or fix the original?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:48 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well aftermarket is almost surely better than anything ford released 20 yrs ago...
Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
FO-MO-CO

i think im just gonna buy a new aftermarket temp guage...from autozone or something...or just buy the temp switch which is like 7 bucks.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:42 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Personally i like to run aftermarket oil/water gauges. Woulnt want to cost you a motor on a faulty 20 yr old sender or gauge

Quick Reply: (TEMP GAUGE NOT WORKING) COMPLICATED!!