5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help! Backfiring and loss of p

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 01:19 PM
spuckie

Default Help! Backfiring and loss of p

Looking for any insight or help someone can offer...sorry about the length

I have an 88 LX Conv 5.0 automatic that's I've had for 2 years...

Car started backfiring a month ago. Took it in thinking a tuneup would fix it. Took it to a friend of mine who owns a shop (he's driven mustangs for about 10 years, so I figured he was a good choice) and he tuned it up and said it was driving great. Couple of days later, it starts backfiring again. This would happen usually around 50mph when I tried to take off. Took it back in and he made some adjustments and said, once again, it was fine. Couple of days later, same thing. Now it seems worse. Backfiring at all speeds when I try to go faster. It was at this point that I'd have to enter a highway at a slow speed and letting it build up instead of taking off. I was in a mustang driving like an old man.

Gave it back to him again. He made some adjustments yet again and told me it wasn't shifting properly. He says he brought it to a tranny guy he knows and they went over it. He also tells me that I'm gonna need a tranny sooner or later.

I've now had the car back for a week. Overdrive slips like crazy. So much that I hardly use it. I couldn't go over 65 on the highway yesterday afternoon. Last night, it seemed like 55 was the limit. It also seems to shift from 1st to 3rd. If I manually shift it, it will go into 2, but only if I delay shifting it. Also, after building up speed a bit (to about 35-40), if I give a good push to the gas pedal, the car does nothing...no backfire...no engine revving...nothing! I'm wondering where the gas is going if I do this. I've held it like this for up to five seconds and no increase in power or backfire.

The car is also backfiring like mad still!

My mechanic...my all knowing mustang mechanic...says it's got to be related to the transmission. That because the car is not shifting correctly, it's causing all the other problems.

My main concern is investing the money in getting another transmission, only to get it back and have it still backfire on me or have this total lack of power.

I don't really know what to do.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this or heard of it??

Please reply here, or if you'd like, you can email me at jspag71@aol.com.

Once again, sorry for the length, but I'm at my wits end!
Old 11-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default Help! Backfiring and loss of p

as far as the tranny problem its gonna be shot. i back fire when im complelely in it then shift into forth. my
tpsvoltage and timing have to a play in this.

a stock tps votlage setting is .92 or .93 for optimum performance it should be set at .99 or 1.0 volts.
mine kinda jumps a littlebit so i back fire once in a while. im assuming its a little to rich up top and then it ignites the extra fuel when i shift.

the tps sensor is the throttle position sensor. which would make sense since at wot then you shift. at wot the sensor could be reading a little to high<edited><editID>ohsoquik02</editID><editDate>37946.6613773148</editDate></edited>