5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

V-8 conversion question about alternator wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Default V-8 conversion question about alternator wiring.

i have been helping a buddy build a race car for the past couple of months and we have finally hit a little snag. The is car is an 89 hatch 4cy. We got it converted over to the v-8 but, can't figure on the best route would be for the wiring on the alternator. The alternator on the 302 is on the opposite side of where it is on the 4 cylinder so, the wires from the harness are not long enough. We want to keep the wires hid so, we are going to hide it by going around the front of the car and then come in on the other fender.

The biggest gauge wire at every parts store is a 10 gauge and it is not very cheap. It doesn't look big enough either. We thought about buying a harness and cutting off what we need but, that really isn't cost effective either. SO, you may think I am crazy but, what about an extension cord from Lowes? Those are cheap and should be big enough. We are planning on having this car done in the next two weeks tops. So, what do you suggest we do.

thanks MF
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

go to a welding supply store, you can get thick cable cheap. and its the really high strand count. its what i use for all the main wiring in my car (grounds, from alt to battery, battery to starter solinoid)
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

thanks, we will check it out next week.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

The heavier gauge wire is not cheap because it has a lot of copper in it to move the max amps your alternator puts out. Say you have a 100amp alternator. That wire must be able to handle that load or it will heat up and melt. Don't skimp on this wire. If you make it too small, or too long for that matter, it will overheat and at worst, burn.

Another consideration is the terminals you are going to put on the ends of the wire. You can't use a simple yellow butt connector. This is not adequate for the loads. Your best bet is to figure out how long of a wire you want, and get it professionally made if you lack the tools to crimp and solder the ends on.

http://mustangefiswap.blogspot.com/
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

the alternator is from a foxbody. It has 6 wires going to it. It doesn't have the really big wire like the 3g. Problem is, the alternator has 6 wires going to it.lol We need each of these wires to be 7 feet long and then splice back into the harness. The 10 gauge wire is almost big enough but, it isn't. We want at least the size of the wire in the harness now. This is why we thought an extension cord would work.

i am trying to talk him into a 3g upgrade but, money is tight right now. Not that he doesn't have it but, he doesn't want to spend it unless has too.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 01-31-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
the alternator is from a foxbody. It has 6 wires going to it. It doesn't have the really big wire like the 3g. Problem is, the alternator has 6 wires going to it.lol We need each of these wires to be 7 feet long and then splice back into the harness. The 10 gauge wire is almost big enough but, it isn't. We want at least the size of the wire in the harness now. This is why we thought an extension cord word work.

i am trying to talk him into a 3g upgrade but, money is tight right now. Not that he doesn't have it but, he doesn't want to spend it unless has too.

tell him the stock alt is garbage....its the truth it is. you can get 3g alts from others cars i think. i thought i saw a list posted once. if so, im sure an alt from the junkyard would be cheap. if you get the 3g alt and the correct hardness, you only need 2 wires going to the alt, the 12v switched wire and then the power wire to the battery. thats what i have
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

he may end up doing that, i think he would come out better. This alternator is old and may not even work. So, here he will spend all this money on the extra wires and end up going to better alternator. I don't know. If he turns it into an all out race car, he won't need a real big alternator anyway.

What may happen is, he will put about 500 miles on this motor to make sure it is good and then sell it to me. Then go with some kind of aftermarket block motor or at least a 351 based motor in the car and he won't drive it on the street anymore.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Gearhead559
2nd Gear Member

junk yard a 3 g..i got one from a 99 3.8 v6 that was new...hell you cant get the reman one for less 150, and this one cost me under 40 at the pick and pull..lol
Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I didn't know they were the same. I will try to talk him into it. He has a bunch of bumpers and grills, he could probably trade for one at a pick and pull.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:44 PM
HELL YA I STREET RACE

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
i have been helping a buddy build a race car for the past couple of months and we have finally hit a little snag. The is car is an 89 hatch 4cy. We got it converted over to the v-8 but, can't figure on the best route would be for the wiring on the alternator. The alternator on the 302 is on the opposite side of where it is on the 4 cylinder so, the wires from the harness are not long enough. We want to keep the wires hid so, we are going to hide it by going around the front of the car and then come in on the other fender.

The biggest gauge wire at every parts store is a 10 gauge and it is not very cheap. It doesn't look big enough either. We thought about buying a harness and cutting off what we need but, that really isn't cost effective either. SO, you may think I am crazy but, what about an extension cord from Lowes? Those are cheap and should be big enough. We are planning on having this car done in the next two weeks tops. So, what do you suggest we do.

thanks MF
hey i think the cleanist & cheapist route is go to walmart and in the sterio section there is coated gauged wire that goes all the way down to 4awg if that helps and you can put a connecter on it and srinkrap to protect from water also lowes has single gauged wire on spools in the electrical section and the electrical supply houses may have what you need

Quick Reply: V-8 conversion question about alternator wiring.