5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

head/cam combo-will it work

Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
grease

Default head/cam combo-will it work

will gt40 heads work with stock rockers,pushrods,roller lifters and a b303 frpp cam or will i need different length pushrods? If i use frpp 1.6 rockers with above combination will i need different length pushrods? what is to be gained by using roller rockers. Motor is currently stock 302 from an 89 lx.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes gt-40 heads will accept stock rokers and most likely push rods will be fine but checks should be made
Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 PM
raftdaddy
2nd Gear Member

your putting together a similar set up as mine.the push rods i used were comp cams hardened and were under 50 bucks.my heads were worked over pretty good with diffrent springs so i needed the pushrods hardened.chances are if your getting gt40's they have had work done somewere down the line.and i have stock rockers and am kicking myself for not putting rollers in.
if you stay 1.6 that is what stock is supposed to be.so 1.6's are as safe as you get. some of the advantages are that they handle higher rpm,less friction(morepower),and stockers are not allways 1.6 or matched.

Last edited by raftdaddy; 01-31-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

are you dead set on the B cam.... you can do much better IMHO
Old 01-31-2010, 10:56 PM
grease

Thumbs down

No im not set on a b cam,just looking to make a nice street car with a lopey idle and some power to make me grin when i get on it.It will never see the track .It will be driven everyday.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if lope is all you care for pull a plug wire
Old 02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
grease

pull a plug wire for a lopey idle? why would you waste your time with that reply? I asked a question on this forum because there are some guys who are very knowledgeable with the sbf, then there is obviously those who are not.you know as well as I when you walk by a cammed car there is no sound as sweet,pure music,like the days before imports.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by grease
pull a plug wire for a lopey idle? why would you waste your time with that reply? I asked a question on this forum because there are some guys who are very knowledgeable with the sbf, then there is obviously those who are not.you know as well as I when you walk by a cammed car there is no sound as sweet,pure music,like the days before imports.
there is also a difference between a car that has a "lope" because the owner wanted a certain sound, and a car that has a "lope", because the owner wanted some actual preformance, and that was what he ended up with.

true cam selection cannot be made purely on sound. If that is how you want to do it, you would honestly be no better off then just pulling a plug wire, or creating a vac leak. If you want to do the job, do it right... dont half *** it.

and FWIW, attacking one of the 5.0 forum moderators is not a good way to start around here... and it pisses me off too... because thats MY job!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 PM
grease

I meant no disrespect,just kind of sounded like he was goofin on me.No one wants there car to sound like its missing,or improperly tuned,Im talking about a nice street car that can be driven everyday if need be,has streetable power and reliability,yet sounds like a muscle car.this car is far from track material,but theirs nothing wrong with a mild cam and some headwork to wake it up a little with the added benefit of the exhaust note sounding lopey.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Advice, when in quicksand do not struggle. You just disappear sooner. Bubba

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: head/cam combo-will it work