5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gt-40 performance questions for new member

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 06:01 AM
90fiveoh

Default gt-40 performance questions for new member

Hey guys, i have a few questions about some things, i have recently just baught a 1990 25th ann. mustang gt hatchback thats in Beautiful shape, 2 owners before me, one from texas, and one from florida, im the first owner up in New York...i have recently baught a ford racing gt-40 crate motor, (supposably 345hp) and plan to mate that with a new tranny (tremec?) and clutch (CFDF?) but im not sure what to use, whats good ? and whats not so good ? i also plan on bolting a supercharger on in a little while, and wanted to know if the 9:1 compression is ok, and are aluminum heads alright ? My ultimate goal for now is to make a reliable street machine, that i can drive to work everyday, and smoke the $60,000 vettes and other "mechanically inclined" machines around my area, if you guys could give me some insite that would be awesome
Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: gt-40 performance questions for new member

a tremec tko 500 or 600 should be plenty. they can be a bit notchy when new. make sure you get a good short throw shifter.

i have heard good things about the king cobra clutch from ford. it's supposed to have a light feel to it yet it still grabs good.

you could safely run about 9 pounds of boost on that motor maybe a little more.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

every thought of a Gforce t5? they seem to be a good tranny and you get to reuse afew parts if you want to.

ive also read alot about a T5Z
Old 07-26-2005, 08:56 AM
90fiveoh

Tanks guys, appreciate it, i am semi-new to this supercharger stuff, i mean i know the concept, but there is so many things to make it work right, i dont know what injector size i need, MAF sensor sizes i need, what i should get, what i should stay away from...i guess all i really know is i want as much power as i can get out of this, with it being reliable, so ill be on this thing every night reading about other people opinions on here, thatnks again guys
Old 07-26-2005, 05:38 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

for that motor with nine pounds of boost 24's should work but you might need 30's.

get a 70mm tb and a 75mm mass air (make sure its calibrated for whatever injectors you choose and get a 190 or 255 lph fuel pump.

i would highly reccomend you get a custom tune to get the most out of your combo and to make sure it is running at a safe air/fuel ratio.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:10 PM
90fiveoh

What does a custom tune consist of, and who does them ? any performance shop ? and i think if i get a supercharger, i might go with ProCharger with an after cooler, cause i beleive at 9 psi it adds atleast 75 degrees to my intake air temperature...ill propbly also do an electric water pump, and a fluidyne radiator with electric fans, and i finally found a website that re-does the factory gauge bezel with auto-meter gauges, because i was just gonna do it myself, cut a peice of stainless steel and make my own cause i hate the factory ones, and i also definaitly need to do something about rear drums, they look like crap with 17"x9" cobra R's so im thinkin maybe the disc conversion has to happen eventually, what else am i over looking guys ? will my stock fuel lines and all of that work with 9psi boost with a new 255lph pump ? and how much horsepower do you think im gonna get with all that when its said and done ? sorry to be a pain but i have so many questions, and im trying to learn everything i can
Old 07-27-2005, 02:08 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

a custom tune is achieved by running the car on a dyno and than buring a chip to match your setup. (air/fuel ratio, timing etc)

procharger is a very good brand and an aftercooler is a good idea too. it reduces the chance of detonation.

if its a street car i would stick with a regular water pump. one less thing to go wrong. reliabilty is everything.

those gauges are cool. i just added some pods, but whatever you like.

they make kits to convert to disc brakes. while you're converting you might as well switch to a 5 lug setup, unless you don't want to buy new rims.

your stock fuel lines and fuel rails will easily support your mods.

its hard to say how much hosepower you will put out. a lot of variables come into play, but if i had to guess i'd say anywhere from 350-380 rwhp on a safe tune.

if you have any more questions just ask.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:54 AM
90fiveoh

thanks man, youve been a good help, i have so many questions i dont know what to ask next...i might try that new bbk intake, the one that comes with the bbk fuel rails, its a pretty nice setup, and u cant beat the price...and so u think my motor should be just fine for 9lbs safely ? i got it for a great price i was just gonna build a 351 and throw it in, but i said ill stick with the 302 and spend less money and get a brand new block and parts, etc, i got the motor for $2,000 un-touched so now i need to get my tranny as soon as i decide which one, and all my bolt ons
Old 07-27-2005, 11:32 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

one of the best intakes to get is the ford gt-40. (the tubeular one) it makes really good low and midrange power and is no slouch up top either. brand new its $600, but you can find them used much cheaper.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:07 PM
90fiveoh

What about nitrous, how does that work with the setup i will have, will it work...how much of a shot should i get and superchargin with nitrous ok ?

Quick Reply: gt-40 performance questions for new member