5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

NO HEAT! NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM
yoshgixxer

Default NO HEAT! NEED HELP!!

Just picked up a 5.0 LX notch,has a 302 in it, swaped out to carbed.also has a good heater core and all the feed and return lines hook up correct for the heater core.

It had a 160 thermostat in it when i bought it and the car ran around 140-160 all the time.its freezing out here. So i swaped out to a 190 therm. Car ran in the 190-200's but still no heat..replaced the radiator cap because i noticed there was antifreeze dumping out of the overflow nipple on the radiator after i toped off the anitrfreeze after the thermostat swap..,Got a new cap (16psi) same damn problem..radiator will only stay 3/4 full...i toped it off 3 times now..i figure this is why the car wont make heat heat because there isnt enough anitfreeze..but why is the anti freeze by passing the small valve in the Radiator cap???

So can some one please help me get heat in my damn car!!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

do you have an overflow bottle attached to that "nipple" you are reffering to? as the car heats up, coolant will come out of there, it usually goes into an overflow tank, where, when the car cools off, it will actually be drawn back into the system
Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
yoshgixxer

That would be a negative on the overflow jug..hmm..wondered if it really need that or not..i knew it would draw coolant back in..but man this thing will dump 2 cup fulls of water on the floor after it runs for 3-5 mins..

How do you properly bleed a 302?Jack it up when you fill it? theres no bleeder screws on the intake
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

How do you know it has a good heater core? With a car that old, you could have a core full of rust and trash from the block. Try backflushing the core. You should have heat if coolant is getting to the core. Something must be keeping it from reaching it.

A second possibility is the damper door is stuck in the A/C position.

http://mustangefiswap.blogspot.com/
Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 PM
yoshgixxer

heater core lines wont get hot...bought the car from a good fried and it sat a while..but when he last used it it had warm heat..now it blows ice cold air..blending door is opening just fine...has to do with the fact that i cant get the cooling system to gain pressure...if the car is warmed up to a good 180..i can squeeze the upper radiator hose and feal the air push out of the over flow nipple from the radiator..like it just wont close for some reason..

The radiator cap has a rubber gasket on the very bottom and in the center is sa small metal disc..what the hell dose that do? is that how the coolant gets back into the radiator??
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Look at the radiator opening. Examine the place where that rubber gasket makes contact with the radiator. Is that area bent or damaged? You mentioned you got a new cap and yet it still leaks there. Sixteen pounds is plenty for your engine and it should hold pressure. Unless that cap is defective or it is not seating. This is obvious, but are you sure you twisted it to its stop?

Since your heater hoses won't get hot even though you say it warms to 180, that tells me there is a blockage. Remove the two hoses and blow some water backwards through the core. That will eliminate the core as the problem.

I think you have two problems. Either a bad cap/and or damaged seat, and a clogged core or coolant hose.

http://mustangefiswap.blogspot.com/
Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you really shouldnt do **** until you put an overflow bottle on there, and burp the cooling system of all the air, which you seem to be re-introducing.. since you are fascinated with taking the cap off to check your coolant level
Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
yoshgixxer

Ok i flushed the heater core and flushed the entire cooling system,added a over flow bottle,and blead the entire cooling system.. Heats nice and hot now... There was deffinatly chunks in the heatwr core.

Thanks guys!