5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Squeak I can not identify

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:26 AM
94mustangandstuff

Angry Squeak I can not identify

I bought this 1994 mustang gt and thought it would be a cool second car to drive and tinker with, which it is, but all the tinkering i am doing is chasing this stupid squeak and its really starting to get me pissed. i posted a thread not to long ago and came to the conclusion that i needed to replace the throwout bearing.
here is what i have been pulling my hair out with........

This squeak is definately rotational. the severity and squeal progress with speed.

This squeak sounds similar to a pulley going bad.

this squeak only is noticably audible when the engine is under load (letting off clutch, engaging a gear, and will continue to squeak untill the clutch pedal is depressed.

the squeak seems to prefer 1st 2nd and 3rd the most.

this squeak is very very faint at idle almost inaudable, but present.

this squeak is very hard to tell what part of the engine it is coming from its like its all over. i can not use my ear to pin point

this squeak does not care what temperature the engine is or has no regard to the outside temp. it does it regardless.

the car will not squeak in reverse.

I oiled all of the pulley still squeaking.

the clutch feels good...but is very stiff....the 03 cobra at the house here has a softer clutch than this one....the clutch has blue springs on it when i looked closely at it...possibly aftermarket> i dont have any idea...

i replaced the idler and tensioner pulley even though oil had no effect on old ones, figured id replace them anyways. still squeaking..

i replaced the belt for grins.... still squeaking...

i just spent 6 and a half hours replacing the throwout bearing...(nothing would go my way, the next time it takes me 6 hours to drop and reinstall a transmission im gonna burn the car and shoot myself)....but guess what....still squeaking....

i inspected the u joints......they are fine....

this squeak is definately not coming from a wheel or suspension.

i dont know what else to do,
im going to go through the pulleys for the fifth time tomorrow to see if i can find a bad one, and go from there...ill be pissed if i replace all of them and it still squeaks..i dont want to spend any unnecessary money .. i am not familiar with these cars enough to know if maybe i am missing something stupid...
ive tried everything i know and dont know where to go next...
maybe someone can point me in another direction or has had a similar issue....

ive got over 100 dollars and a bunch of time invested in a mystery squeak.... its unheard of some one help me please!!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:10 AM
brandonse24

could it be your water pump?, mine sqeaked when it was going out
Old 02-27-2010, 06:18 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 94mustangandstuff
the squeak seems to prefer 1st 2nd and 3rd the most.

this squeak is very very faint at idle almost inaudable, but present.

the car will not squeak in reverse.
Does it squeak while the engine is running but the car is not moving?
If yes, does it go away when you rest your foot on the clutch pedal?

If no, put the car on jackstands (rear) and put the car in gear, run it though 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Did the noise go away?
If yes, your u-joints are ****ed, irregardless of your "inspection"

if no, remove the belt (serpentine) and run the car. did the noise go away?
if yes, its a pulley
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM
94mustangandstuff

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Does it squeak while the engine is running but the car is not moving?
If yes, does it go away when you rest your foot on the clutch pedal?

If no, put the car on jackstands (rear) and put the car in gear, run it though 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Did the noise go away?
If yes, your u-joints are ****ed, irregardless of your "inspection"

if no, remove the belt (serpentine) and run the car. did the noise go away?
if yes, its a pulley

the car does not seem to squeak with the engine running and the car not moving. resting foot on the clutch pedal seems to have no effect ,good or bad, on anything i can tell.
im going to try those two trouble shooting methods youve listed and ill post what i come up with.. thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking u joints too. I had 1st 2nd 3rd gear squeaks too until i changed my u joints.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:59 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

u-joints can have no play in them, but still be rusted and binding internally.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
94mustangandstuff

well i did some more troubleshooting, removed the serp belt and ran car still squeaks.. put on stands and put in gear, still squeaks...
this time i called my buddy and had him get in the car so i could stick my head under the hood and i had him work the clutch... sitting at idle with no movement, if the the clutch pedal is depressed i can clearly hear the squeak coming from behind the motor in the bellhousing area. when the clutch pedal is depressed and held there if you give the car some gas the squeak intensifies and remains consistant with rpms. the squeak remains the same wether the car is in gear or neutral. i just replaced the throwout bearing on friday so its not that.. i am almost convinced that its the clutch..so i guess i will replace the whole thing which i should have just done in the first place.
the clutch does not slip and feels good. the only thing is the pedal is exremely stiff..i dont know if a clutch can start squeaking? ive never heard one do that but i guess its possible. the noise is definately coming from the clutch/ bellhousing area..
im going to replace the clutch, i need a reccomendation of a clutch kit thats not to expensive but a decent one. maybe a middle of the road kind of deal.
if anyone thinks i am going in the wrong direction here please intervene.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

clutches dont squeak... get a new TOB... and a quality one this time

fwiw, did you use any lube on the bearing retainer?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:17 AM
boylanp

Do you pilot bearings squeak when they go bad?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 AM
boylanp

You didn't mention that you had changed that.

Quick Reply: Squeak I can not identify