5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fan messing up a/c??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:01 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

Default fan messing up a/c??

i installed an electric fan in my car a few days ago.. it was wrong and the car got a little warm.. i heard a big leak and it was co,ming from the a/c, i now have no a/c and my fan is right now so it keeps the engine cool but no a/c..

a "mechanic" says i need the normal fan in order for the a/c to work? what is he talking about? doesnt make sense

what would be wrong with ym a/c from it getting hot.. the leak was coming from the passenger side down by the headers would it just be a broken line because both a/c lines run right there.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: fan messing up a/c??

i have never heard of that before there is no special fan for the ac i think you have a broken line or a leak somewhere
Old 07-29-2005, 12:13 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

thanks.. i think so too, i figured the guy is full of it.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

sounds like it to me i would get the ac pressure tested to find your leak
Old 07-29-2005, 12:20 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

YOUR A C WILL WORK WITH AN ELECTRIC FAN.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanglx2002

sounds like it to me i would get the ac pressure tested to find your leak
what do you mean? how do i do that
Old 07-29-2005, 12:48 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

you cant you need to take it to a shop to have them do a pressure test to find the leak in your ac system
Old 07-29-2005, 04:05 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

with an electric fan you need to hook up the a wire to the AC feed to signal the controller to boost the fans output some to help cool when ac is on. atleast this is the case with a Flex A Lite controller

but tell that mechanic i bet hes ASE certified to shove it. many vehicles come with E fans and have no issues at all.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:53 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Most cars do have to fans one for the ac and the other for the motor althou foxs didnt come with two but You shouldnt have a problem with the motor heat with only one fan.Is the cluch still working on the ac pump??Once the freon is gone oviously the ac wont work anymore
Old 07-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

You do need a fan with your A/C for it to work properly. Most electric fans have a relay that allows the E fan to kick on when the A/C is engaged.

Freon works by a endothermic reaction. This means when freon boils it pulls in heat, giving a cool feel. But because the freon is now a gas it need to be converted to a liquid again (compressor) and because the reaction is backwards (cools when boils) it has to give of heat when reversed back to a liquid. That is why the fan needs to be on. It helps with the heat, and helps with the process.

Now if there is no fan cooling things the possibility is that one of two things happen. One the A/C will not cool like it should because there is too much heat not allowing the gas to turn completely to a liquid. Because of this...this can lead to the second problem. There is a low pressure line and a high pressure line. The low pressure line houses the liquid and the high pressure has the gas.

Now if not all of the gas was compressed to a liquid leaving a higher pressure in the low pressure side. Since that side is only designed for a lower pressure that could have caused a premature leak. That is what you have heard.

I have not done A/C work on my mustang yet, but I have on my other two cars. What I told you is just what I think and your problem could be something completely different. But any ideas count right?

Turn your A/C on and look at your A/C compressor. Does the very end of it turn with the pulley? If not then your pressure is too low and your compressor will not kick on because of it's safety switch. So check that. If it is turning then it is something else. If it is not turning when A/C is on...then just add some freon until it turns on...then add a little more on top of that. Make sure not to over fill.

Also you can take your car to a place and yes they can pressure test it. They can tell you what component or what line is leaking leading you to the right place or leading them to give you an estimate to fix it.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: fan messing up a/c??