5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Distributor advance mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Default Distributor advance mechanism?

I'm in the process of ordering parts for my 331 build this summer, and I'm confused as to what I need in terms of a new distributor - I'm building a 331 stroker with a hydraulic roller cam block, and a stock mass air computer. I'm planning to get a super pro bullet block from DSS Racing.

I've got Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, and a Trick Flow Track Max cam to go with it - now I'm trying to figure out:

a) what kind of gear material i need on the distributor
b) what advance mechanism i need from the following:
- mechanical
- electronic
- vacuum and electronic
- vacuum and mechanical

I have no idea what kind of hookup I need for each of these, so I'm wondering what the stock setup is, as I'll probably be close to this. It looks like all the other parts I'll be using will be from 89-91 factory parts, which is what I got in the box-o-parts when I bought this car.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Roller cams use a steel gear...if you're using the stock computer, just use a stock distributor and let the computer handle the advance.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

What sonic said.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

humm u must be goin crab or else you wouldnt b askn this question

efi dizzy is good for a 10+ sec car
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

opps i misread your orginal post you are using stock mass air computer....

as stated above stock efi dizzy is good for 10+ sec car
Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicBlueFiveSlow
Roller cams use a steel gear...if you're using the stock computer, just use a stock distributor and let the computer handle the advance.
i was looking at mallory distributors... are you suggesting that an aftermarket distributor is overkill? or would this mean that i would want an electronic advance mallory distributor (i'm assuming the computer then controls the advance)?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

you will gain nothing from an aftermarket distributor.... the function of it is the same... the ecm will electronicly advance or retard...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wadesquad
you will gain nothing from an aftermarket distributor.... the function of it is the same... the ecm will electronicly advance or retard...
so i was thinking in terms of precision of the rotor - it seems to me that a higher quality dizzy would have a more precise control over timing. nothing too extreme, probably on the order of milliseconds, but it seems to me that milliseconds can make a critical difference in placing the spark at the exact correct moment in the stroke cycle.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:19 PM
wadesquad
1st Gear Member

an efi distributor does not move like the old vac or cintrifical weighted dizzys...

ure computer/ignition module are the brains, the PIP picks up the crank position and reports to the computer. ure dizzy is a dumb device it jus fires when told to... wether its retarded or advanced based on the conditions the computer sees.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:22 AM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wadesquad
an efi distributor does not move like the old vac or cintrifical weighted dizzys...

ure computer/ignition module are the brains, the PIP picks up the crank position and reports to the computer. ure dizzy is a dumb device it jus fires when told to... wether its retarded or advanced based on the conditions the computer sees.
in other words - the ignition module and coil are more important. considering that i'll probably want a fresh module anyway, and when i build the new engine i'll definitely be needing a new gear, cap, and rotor at least, i figure i'll probably be in about $100 for various things anyway.

i think i'll spring the extra $150 or so and get a nice mallory dizzy like i was planning to - comes with an ignition module IIRC.

from what i gather here i'm looking for an electrical advance dizzy since my car is efi and has an ecm.

Quick Reply: Distributor advance mechanism?