5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help! Belt alignment issue 1995 GT Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM
n2fastuff

Red face Help! Belt alignment issue 1995 GT Help!

ight guys, I have an alignment problem with my belt.This has apparently been a problem for a while as the smog pump that was on the car when I bought it, and for the first 1k miles that I have owned it, had the front lip worn off of it,yet I never had a big problem with it unless I turned the car 6000+rpm continually.
NOTE* Now the car has a UPR smog eliminator,new tensioner,new water pump,and a pretty damn tight new belt on the new engine.
I got the car back from the chassis dyno,all was well for the first 15-20 miles of hard driving,then i heard a lite sound of something dinging around under the chassis.Quick look found the belt rode to the front of the pulley system, and at least one rib,maybe two gone! What I heard was the shred of belt leaving the car!
OH, and the tensioner lets the belt TOUCH already as it loops back around off the smog pump eliminator. The belt had 3/4" clearance between the grooved face sides when new tensioner was installed. I'm starting to go crazy.
As to look by eye, all seems to be in alignment. To pull 3000rpm and watch the belt,it doesn't move. However,after driving it wants to ride over the pulley lips.....any suggestions........as far as I know, all components are 94 specific on this car. Stock alternator,stock PS pump,A/C,water pump is new.
PICS ARE SMALL ON HERE...LOOK AT THIS LINK... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...54949511&saved

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3570368_s.jpg
Car runs strong, 347 -PBM rot Assy,Mahle pistons 8.9:1 CR, Edelbrock performer's, GT40 U/L ported intake,Vortec V1 - S trim at 6.4 lbs boost/avg from 3k-5800 rpm. Made 95 more hp, and 98 lb/ft more than an 04 terminator cobra, on same dyno -similar weather conditions, with a JLT cold air kit and Borla exhaust. If only I could trade him this problem for the power difference...on second thought...

Last edited by n2fastuff; 06-11-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

get a short belt and remove the smog pump....is that the pulley its riding up over??
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 PM
n2fastuff

Used as short of a belt as possible,had to WORK to get it over the smooth water pump pulley with tensioner at max swing and load.
No smog pump, has UPR eliminator. It is my understanding that on these sn95 cars that you can't re-route the belt w/o eliminating the A/C. Don't wanna do that
Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 AM
uenvyboykin
2nd Gear Member

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...g-diagram.html

Same problem, also had a problem with aftermarket u/d pullies, in particular the water pump pully...

put stock pulleys back on eleminated smog pump and problem solved
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by n2fastuff
Used as short of a belt as possible,had to WORK to get it over the smooth water pump pulley with tensioner at max swing and load.
No smog pump, has UPR eliminator. It is my understanding that on these sn95 cars that you can't re-route the belt w/o eliminating the A/C. Don't wanna do that

i eliminated mine with and kept ac with just a short belt no smog pulley...........
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
n2fastuff

Thanks UENVY...Is your car routed WITH air conditioning and WITHOUT the smog pump eliminator??
Also, did you have the problem of the belt riding forward over the pulley lip and shredding the belt and the tensioner allowing the belt to rub against itself? I tried to eliminate the close tolerance of the ABS bracket and smog pump eliminator also(which is what shredded the belt the first time) by clearancing it with a die grinder. The job looks good,and I have more clearance,but I'd like to eliminate the elimnator!! That sounds funny,oh well.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
n2fastuff

btw, thanks for the diagram
Old 06-10-2010, 07:02 AM
uenvyboykin
2nd Gear Member

ya that was the problem, when i put the belt on it was fine everything lined up perfect, as soon as i started the car the belt would ride about a tenth an inch forward on to the water pump pulley, which shredded my belts. I don't believe it was rubbing against itself from the tensioner but the lip from the water pump pulley would wear a belt out in about a week depending on driving, after 3 belts I started researching and fixed the problem.

i have 2 belts ones a summer and ones a winter, so with or with out ac both worked for me with out problems
Old 06-10-2010, 07:05 AM
uenvyboykin
2nd Gear Member

oh and if you have anything but stock pulleys all around, make sure you take the car to the auto parts store and explain your gonna need to try different belt sizes all underdrive pulleys are slightly different and will cause your belt to be different sizes

there are other diagrams for with and with out different components if your search, but thats the one i used
Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 AM
n2fastuff

Once again, thanks for responding. It's kinda funny that I have full access to my fathers machine shop and Stuska Powertest engine dyno, a trustworthy tuner and chassis dyno, and a few friends w sn95's that can't say they have ever ran into this RIDING FORWARD problem. After pulling a string around the pulleys,finding that all looks to be in-line, and NOT having the issue unless I turn the car hard enough(rpm's), I was about to pull my hair out! I will apply what I've learned as soon I can get back home from out on the road this week. THANKS AGAIN.