Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 87 ford mustang gt
Default rough idle, running rich, smoke help

working on my buddys 89 lx it idles like it has a miss but you can smell fuel really strong and it smokes whitish blue. we've tested each plug and wire. we pulled codes 41 and 91 (hego lean both sides) if you unplug the maf sensor the cars idle doesn't change, recently replaced the tfi and full tune up
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
1987 Mustang GT Hatchback stock motor BBK CAI, 255lph fuel pump, BBK Adj fuel pressure reg, msd dist, maximum motorsports caster camber plates, ram hdx clutch, BBK adj clutch cable and firewall adj, 3g alternator, 03-04 cobra replica wheels, strut tower brace, 3.73 gears fresh clutch packs, Gt40ps trickflow stage one and explorer intake in the works
jkrum10238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1986 LX, 87 GT Hatch, 89 GT Vert
Send a message via AIM to mattdel

Unplugging the MAF should just about kill the car, so I'd start there. The smoke is probably not related, and is more than likely a mechanical issue with valve seals or rings.

Last edited by mattdel; 06-13-2010 at 12:14 PM.
mattdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

thats what i thought with the maf sensor were thinking somethings making the car read lean and put way to much extra fuel in to make it smoke in the exhaust
1987 Mustang GT Hatchback stock motor BBK CAI, 255lph fuel pump, BBK Adj fuel pressure reg, msd dist, maximum motorsports caster camber plates, ram hdx clutch, BBK adj clutch cable and firewall adj, 3g alternator, 03-04 cobra replica wheels, strut tower brace, 3.73 gears fresh clutch packs, Gt40ps trickflow stage one and explorer intake in the works
Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Well, a rich condition producing smoke would be black. White = antifreeze. Blue = oil.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

black smoke aka soot doesnt really happen in a gasoline engine except when reving the smoke smells like fuel, fuel drips outta the exhaust, and the car seems to idle fine now
Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
mattdel
6th Gear Member

theres no way fuel would drip from the exhaust. the system is way too hot. that fuel would be vaporized before it hit the mufflers, unless you're literally dumping more fuel into the exhaust than you are burning.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
93 5 oh

Vehicle: 93 ford mustang LX

My car does the same thing white smoke that smells like gas when I rev it huge a$$ clouds of white smoke come out as some times it starts hard or barley starts at all and sometimes it idle rough
93 5 oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 5 oh View Post
My car does the same thing white smoke that smells like gas when I rev it huge a$$ clouds of white smoke come out as some times it starts hard or barley starts at all and sometimes it idle rough
That sounds like a head gasket . the reason it smells like gasoline is because of the vapors that are not being ignited due to the antifreeze dousing the cylinder.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
93 5 oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson1112 View Post
That sounds like a head gasket . the reason it smells like gasoline is because of the vapors that are not being ignited due to the antifreeze dousing the cylinder.
When I turn my key over the fuel pump kicks on like usual but when I get the car started the fuel pump is loud as hell I ran outta gas the other day and I jus got more gas in it and that's when the smoke started I thought it was just dirt in one of my injectors but then it start either not starting or starting hard and idling rough
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
93 5 oh

Before I ran outta gas my car shut off a few times then before I pulled into the drive and it actually died it back fired but it sounded really weird idk I wasn't running it hard and it isn't a daily driver
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1986, 1987, 50, burning, codes, exhaust, forum, gt, idle, mustang, rich, rough, running, runs, smoke