Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
gotmustang

Vehicle: 1992 Ford Mustang GT
Exclamation T5 out of V6 can it be rebuilt for a V8

I was putting together my 1992 GT I have and bought a this trans from a guy who told me it was out of a V8. Well come to find out it was out of a V6 and the gearing inside the trans is so short that 1st gear, well almost acts like there is no first gear because it jumps rpm's so quickly. Can I use this as a base and rebuilt it with differnt gears/parts so I can use it again in my V8 and have a car I actually enjoy to drive?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
gotmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1993 notch

it would be more expensive than finding another one.

the cluster gear alone is about $300, it is NOT a world class trans so it's torque rating is really low. did you actually try to put it in ? because the pilot bearing is a diff size and i was pretty sure the input shaft and output shaft were both different too. but i cant say for certain. i know they are diff on the v8 sn95 cars, and it must be a '95 or newer trans ?

nitrous oxide is proof there is a GOD and he wants us to be happy
nitrous_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
AdderMk2
Banned

Vehicle: 94 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2

sounds like its actually out of a 2.3l 4 cyl.... because the 94+ V6 transmission is virtually identical to the pre-94 V8 trans, minus the input shaft length
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

yeah definitely sounds like a 4 banger tranny...
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdderMk2 View Post
sounds like its actually out of a 2.3l 4 cyl.... because the 94+ V6 transmission is virtually identical to the pre-94 V8 trans, minus the input shaft length
had one in my 86 gt for a year short 1st but it wasnt that bad. it kinda helped me since i had 2.73 rear gears. but adders right its unlikely a v6 and the 3.8l was discontinued in 86 and wasnt brought back till 94 in the mustang. that doesnt mean it was available in something else those years. the 4 banger should have a short first but i think the rest of the gears are fairly close. if its trully a 2.3l then they are running no pilot bearing unless they knew about the deisel ranger bearing from about 1984...either way get a new t5 and pilot bearing.or just beat on the one you have. mine took all my abuse for over a year,till i sold it last night! good ridance!
mine was a world class from a 89 2.3l. identify if its a wc or nwc t5. read up,search and check the tag it will tell you everything. theres otherways to tell if its a wc visually but i wont get into that.
88 HONDA PRELUDE 2.0SI 4WS (four wheel steering to the uninitiated)

TECH CERTIFIED

86 GT "SOLD"

86GT 93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
23l, 50, mustang, rebuild, rebuildv6t5tov8t5, reuilding, t5, t5 transmission, transmission, transmission problems, transmissions, v6, v8