5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Help with Front Brake Install Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM
filmnews

Default Need Help with Front Brake Install Instructions

I am currently working on switching out my pads and rotors on my 1991 Mustang. Needing a link with pictures on how to do a front brake install on a fox body Mustang. I just did the brakes on my 03 mach 1, but these look different. Please Help
Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Foxes have hubbed rotors. Which means to change the rotors you have to take the cap off, cotter pin, locker, nut, washer, and outer bearing just to slide the rotor off. Honestly if you are changing the rotors put new bearings and a seal in it. They aren't too expensive and you'll be glad you did.

As for the caliper just use a t-50 to take the two long bolts out. Then caliper will slide up out of the way.

To install the bearings fist pack them with a good high quality grease. I use some valvoline synthetic grease on mine. Then install everything back the way it came out with the exception of the locker and cotter pin. While spinning the rotor torque the nut to 25 ft-lbs. Then loosen the nut 1/2 turn. Then torque the nut to 20-25 IN-lbs. Then install your locker, NEW cotter pin and cap. Do not put grease into the cap.

Last edited by Boss_Hotrod; 06-26-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
filmnews

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Foxes have hubbed rotors. Which means to change the rotors you have to take the cap off, cotter pin, locker, nut, washer, and outer bearing just to slide the rotor off. Honestly if you are changing the rotors put new bearings and a seal in it. They aren't too expensive and you'll be glad you did.

As for the caliper just use a t-50 to take the two long bolts out. Then caliper will slide up out of the way.

To install the bearings fist pack them with a good high quality grease. I use some valvoline synthetic grease on mine. Then install everything back the way it came out with the exception of the locker and cotter pin. While spinning the rotor torque the nut to 25 ft-lbs. Then loosen the nut 1/2 turn. Then torque the nut to 20-25 IN-lbs. Then install your locker, NEW cotter pin and cap. Do not put grease into the cap.
Dang. Sounds like a lot more worj then the MAch 1. Is there a write up on this with pictures? Thank You
Old 06-26-2010, 05:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

go buy the $15 haynes repair manual
Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Repair manual will come in handy with older car.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

It may sound like more, but it's really not. It's rather simple. I'm a begginer with replacing parts and such on cars and I had no issues. Plus, if you do, there's dozens of guys on here that'll be more than happy to walk you through it.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Open the bleeder screw and run a hose from the bleeder screw to a container.
Use a screwdriver to push the caliper piston back before you remove the caliper.

Not 100% necessary but it will make the reinstallation easier and will prevent all the junk collected in your caliper from flowing back up into the braking system. Especially important on newer ABS cars.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Klickmania

Originally Posted by Jfsram
Open the bleeder screw and run a hose from the bleeder screw to a container.
Use a screwdriver to push the caliper piston back before you remove the caliper.

Not 100% necessary but it will make the reinstallation easier and will prevent all the junk collected in your caliper from flowing back up into the braking system. Especially important on newer ABS cars.

You can also just get a brake caliper compresser. They're like 7 bucks at o'reilly's and you'll definitely use it more then once.

It can be a little daunting wne you first see everything that you have to take off, but it's really only a couple of bolts, the rotor, and the bearings on each side. As long as you keep everything in order when you're taking it apart it really shouldn't be an issue. Just torque everything the way Boss_Hotrod said and you should be good to go. Also be sure to use some red locktite on the caliper bolts too.

- Spencer
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod

+1

Its a very SIMPLE process. Wait till you have to do Drum brakes for the first time