Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Vehicle: 66 94 11
Send a message via AIM to 28HopUp
Default Time for a new dizzy?

So my SSP started acting up, like I had bumped the timing. Plus, it was making a knocking sound near the front of the motor. I popped the cap off, and this is what was lurking underneath -

Click the image to open in full size.

It's not supposed to be like that, right? I'm amazed that the car still ran at all! I guess the stock distributor has a bit of play in it, don't ya think? So should I get a factory replacement dizzy, or do you have a solid recommendation for an aftermarket unit? The drivetrain remains relatively stock.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang

just go down to napa and get an oem replacement reman one Bill, Make sure you get one with a steel gear on it as iirc your 85 is carb/roller cam motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.

Last edited by mjr46; 06-28-2010 at 03:58 PM.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Thanks Mike. Nice to finally catch up with you at the track, despite only being a specator. It's always nice (well, usually it is at least) to put a face with the forum name. Your 85 looks great!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Thanks Mike. Nice to finally catch up with you at the track, despite only being a specator. It's always nice (well, usually it is at least) to put a face with the forum name. Your 85 looks great!
Yeah , it was good to finally meet you too!!, don't feel bad about the spectator thing, that's all I was on saturday too.....couldn't afford to break this one, so I sat on the sidelines as well

Quote:
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Got home and checked the dist shaft under the cap. There is a small amount of side-to-side movement, but not much (1-2mm tops). However, there is ALOT of up & down movement in the shaft. I'd say st least 1/8" of vertical movement. It's certainly enough play to cause my rotor to go snap.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Quote:
Got home and checked the dist shaft under the cap. There is a small amount of side-to-side movement, but not much (1-2mm tops). However, there is ALOT of up & down movement in the shaft. I'd say st least 1/8" of vertical movement. It's certainly enough play to cause my rotor to go snap.
well you really need to pull it out, Bill, with the Dizzy gear seated to the cam gear, you may not feel much side to side movement but as soon as it's pulled if that's the problem , you will notice alot of side to side play.......make sure you mark the rotor location in accordance with where it points on the grey cap locator so as to be able to drop it back in in the same location without having to really time it up from square one

Quote:
Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr46 View Post
well you really need to pull it out, Bill, with the Dizzy gear seated to the cam gear, you may not feel much side to side movement but as soon as it's pulled if that's the problem , you will notice alot of side to side play.......make sure you mark the rotor location in accordance with where it points on the grey cap locator so as to be able to drop it back in in the same location without having to really time it up from square one
Not the first time I've heard that!

Thanks for the input! Given the age of the car and the unknown maintenance/repairs by previous owners, I will pop for a new distributor. Thanks for the reminder on rotor placement. I just hope I can remove it and install without lifting/dropping the oil pump shaft into the pan (a common problem on my 289. Did Ford fix that on the more modern 5.0L?).
Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Quote:
Not the first time I've heard that!

Thanks for the input! Given the age of the car and the unknown maintenance/repairs by previous owners, I will pop for a new distributor. Thanks for the reminder on rotor placement. I just hope I can remove it and install without lifting/dropping the oil pump shaft into the pan (a common problem on my 289. Did Ford fix that on the more modern 5.0L?).
there should be a slip ring on all of the dizzy shafts , expecially late model 5.0's to prevent that from occuring, so no worry

Quote:
Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1994, 50, dizzy, drop, mustang