5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 5.0 is alive but not unless i play with the gas

Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 PM
rcaudill80

Default 89 5.0 is alive but not unless i play with the gas

i finally got her to run but only if i play with the gas and rev it up but as soon as i get off the throttle she dies out! im going to check my vac lives. i got rid of the cluster on the passenger side finder, and plugged the one on the front side of plenum (the small vac line) i have a line going to something on the back side of the throttle body, and one going to the fuel rails, break booster, and the larger vac port on the front side of the plenum running to the back side of the intake manifold(pcv valve i think) If anyone can hit up some pics of there vac system for a newbe to help out as a point of reference that would be really great. And in advance sorry of the stupidity new to the hole fuel injection and sensor thing but any help would be great!!! THX in advance
Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

vac line to the throttle body?? the tube on the top? that goes to the oil filler neck.. pic?

you should have 4 vac lines coming out of the intake.

1) FPR
2) PCV
3) Vac Tree
4) Charcoal canister (comes out the front)

the brake booster vac line comes off of the tree and into the brake booster

also are you sure your base idle is set correctly? (TB blade could be closed too much) and that you dont have vacuum leak?

what did you do to the car that when you were done it ran this way?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:20 AM
rcaudill80

i bought the car for 800 did not plan on the motor running but to my surprise it does i got rid of the smog and the a/c was already ripped out. in the upper intake it has 5 vac lines. 3 on back and two on the front. Yea i do think i have a vac leak but i can not find it was trying to make sure i had vac lines hooked up to the right things and did not leave one open! now you said FPR (fuel pump?) if so where is that at? (on the throttle boby, or the fuel rail?)
Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 AM
jax89

FPR is the fuel pressure regulator. one line ties into that off the tree in the back of the upper. have you tried resetting the IAC motor? unplug the connector to it and start the car. adjust the idle using the screw on the stop. once you've done that plug the connector back in. it might solve your idle problem.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jax89
FPR is the fuel pressure regulator. one line ties into that off the tree in the back of the upper. have you tried resetting the IAC motor? unplug the connector to it and start the car. adjust the idle using the screw on the stop. once you've done that plug the connector back in. it might solve your idle problem.
well thats not exactly how you are supposed to reset the base idle but it is close.

make sure the car is hot. then unplug the iac and adjust the screw on the TB to adjust the plate. once the idle is where you want it shut the ar off then plug the iac back in and then restart the car. if it remains where you want it unplug the battery for a few hours then take it for a long drive so the comp can relearn.

where do the 2 lines in the front go to? 1 goes to the charcoal canister but where does the other one go? and you never explained ur tb vac line? there shouldnt be one unless you are talking about the EGR valve that is mounted to the spacer in between the TB and the intake itself. if the smog is removed you do not need a vac line going to that. but just leave the electrical connector plugged in so you dont get a CEL.

as for finding a vac leak you either need to have a smoke tester or you can spray carb cleaner all around and if you hear the idle go up you kno where the leak is.

you could very well just have a cracked vac line that needs replacing.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 AM
rcaudill80

thanks guys for all your help she is idle good now she only has about 100 rpm movement i got to wonder if someone did not put a larger cam in??? well i guess ill have to find that out. Oh did that year come with posi just wondering if my rear is oem and can you adjust the clutch cable? It releases about 2 inches off the floor maybe even less