Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
88GTBLKBTY

Vehicle: 88,Ford,Mustang GT
Default Ignition Wiring Harness Gets Hot??? (Yellow Wires)

Hello,

I have a 1988 Mustang GT 5.0L, It's been converted from Speed density to MAF and has a MSD 6AL Box and upgraded to a 130amp alternator from a newer GEN.

Before the upgrades I had this problem and continue to have this problem after the upgrades. The ignition switch has been getting HOT and falls apart. I have replaced the ignition switch twice and continue with the same problem. This time around I have replaced the ignition switch and the starter solenoid that is mounted on the fender and I continue to have the same problem. I have noticed that the two yellow wires that are on ignition switch harness are the ones that are getting hot and the plug has started to melt. Does anyone have any sugestions as to what should be my next step?

Thanks Again

Last edited by 88GTBLKBTY; 08-02-2010 at 08:11 PM.
88GTBLKBTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Turbo4banger

Vehicle: 1989, Ford, Mustang

The 2 yellow wires on your ignition switch are 12v constant power... Have you measured voltage there to see if you getting the right voltage? I am not sure of the amperage though...I am wondering if you getting a spike or arc from somewhere causing the melting problem.

Chris L.
1988 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Vert
1989 Ford Mustang LX 2.3L Turbo
2007 Ford Edge
2000 Ford F-150 (DD)
351w (slow build in progress)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrod View Post
Does the V6 mustang have a different engine than the V8?
Turbo4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang

^^^voltage doesn't cause heating of wires, it is current draw/amperage or excessive current draw and or high resistance in wiring/connections that causes such............anyway, you need to make sure the connection there is good and tight and those 2 wires that get hot that the crimp connection is tight, often it is a problem in the connector/ across the pin connection, if the connector and or pins in the connector show any signs of melting, overheating and or blueing of the metal pins, = replace the connector and check the ground connection for the ignition switch, can't remmeber if it has such but looking at a diagram, you should be able to determine such if it has such , trace it and see where the ground leads to, faulty grounds will cause high resistance and up the current draw, thus overheating a circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
88GTBLKBTY

Vehicle: 88,Ford,Mustang GT

Thanks Guys!!! I'll check the items that you guys have mentioned and I'll update after checking!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1989, 23l, 6al, 88, ford, gt, harness, hot, ignition, melted, msd, mustang, starter, switch, wire, wires, wiring