5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Broke my car at the track today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default Broke my car at the track today...

yep, seriously...

Second pass of the day.
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...t=SDV_0017.mp4

So here's my tech question:

The gear on the end of the distributor. If you look at it, and where the roll pin presses through the gear and shaft. With regards to the location of the rotor, How is it oriented? I need to put in a new roll pin and want to make sure its in correctly.

Before I confuse anyone, if you look at where the pin goes in. On one side, it lines up with one of the teeth of the gear... But on the other side, it lines up between two teeth.

Looking at one side, I need to know which direction the rotor is facing. So I can re-align mine.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i might be wrong but i don't think it matters.. if you switch it around it will be the same way.
then again i might be completely confused as to what you're talking about.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the holes are often never centered upon drilling so , I've found that to get the gear to line up with the holes it only fits on in one way to get the pin to tap back in place...... what did it run on the first pass?? et/mph
Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by mjr46
the holes are often never centered upon drilling so , I've found that to get the gear to line up with the holes it only fits on in one way to get the pin to tap back in place...... what did it run on the first pass?? et/mph
Its a fairly safe assumption that the pin didnt just "go bad" and likely that its been breaking little by little for a while. With that in mind, the car ran like crap for the first pass.

The booth couldn't find my ticket when I got there (thats my story, and im sticking to it)
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, it shouldn't matter. Once the gear is back on if it's pinned through whichever hole and off slightly, just adjust the dizzy to get the timing back.

What happened, did the gear on the dizzy just grenade?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Its a fairly safe assumption that the pin didnt just "go bad" and likely that its been breaking little by little for a while. With that in mind, the car ran like crap for the first pass.

The booth couldn't find my ticket when I got there (thats my story, and im sticking to it)
are you running a hv pump??? when I did my custom cam swap, I heaved the hv pump in favor of a standard volume high performance pump for fear I'd have issues with such winding the motor up so high....and as for the bolded comment, I don't buy it!!! lol, your camera operator knows the truth..lol anyway hope you get it fixed and back at it ASAP
Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

HV pump won't matter at high rpm. Gear load is dictated by pump pressure, which is just resistance to flow. At high rpm with an HV pump the bypass is already open and pressure should only top out at around stock 60-65psi. They do load the gears more at lower rpm when cruising since the pressure is higher at low rpm relative to a standard volume pump(hasn't kicked the bypass open, but still flowing more volume, so more pressure), but not enough to break them.

I've been running a standard 65psi HV in mine for years in my daily driver that regularly sees 6,500rpm, and the dizzy and cam gear show hardly any wear.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
HV pump won't matter at high rpm. Gear load is dictated by pump pressure, which is just resistance to flow. At high rpm with an HV pump the bypass is already open and pressure should only top out at around stock 60-65psi. They do load the gears more at lower rpm when cruising since the pressure is higher at low rpm relative to a standard volume pump(hasn't kicked the bypass open, but still flowing more volume, so more pressure), but not enough to break them.

I've been running a standard 65psi HV in mine for years in my daily driver that regularly sees 6,500rpm, and the dizzy and cam gear show hardly any wear.
maybe so but IMO HV pumps are a waste for street strip rides
Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
maybe so but IMO HV pumps are a waste for street strip rides
I agree, pressure wastes power.

As for the pin. If it will go in both ways. You can question it but I've always found they will only fit one way.
Even if it does go both ways. It will only index the rotor off a few degrees and you will easily get that back when you move the distrubutor housing to adjust your ignition timing.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:54 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

haha sux man. i went up on saturday. and ran the Street Ford class. Made it to the 3rd round of eliminations. somehow i missed 4th?!? on the last run..

it ran a best of 13.024 @ 105.8mph but with a crap 1.914 60'.... i need better tires than those stupid Nitto drag radials i have.. so close to 12s n/a!!

Quick Reply: Broke my car at the track today...