5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oh when it rains, it pours....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Default Oh when it rains, it pours....

Today started off as a great day. The excess financial money from my scholarship was deposited into my account...all $1500 of it. I was amazed that was left. Go to my girlfriends house and am greeted by a naked body. Go to starbucks and get a free iced white chocolate mocha for being cute. Man, I should play the lottery, no?

Seemed that luck ran dry around 11AM. As I'm driving, AC blowing nice and cold, my car just starts to rapidly start overheating. Ok. Turn off AC and turn on heat, it still keeps going. I hit the freeway to see if it'll calm down. It goes down and stays normal but once I hit some traffic, boom! It's back up.

I limp the car to the ASU parking lot and just go to class, hoping it'll be cool enough to drive to my dentist appointment after class. As I get to the trunk of my car, I notice the brake lights are on. WTF? The lights aren't engaged and nothing is on the pedal......I pull the pedal up, nothing. They won't turn the f*ck off! I'm pretty angry by now and I yank the fuse for the lights out.

Fast forward and I come back. Car is cool and everything works fine as I drive to the appointment. It's after the appointment when I head back to ASU that things start again. Geez. by this point I just ditch the car in the lot and go about my business.

After school, I take my girl out lingerie shopping because it was fine the whole 2 hour drive home. As soon as we hit the shopping complex parking lot, my girlfriend, who got out of the car first tells me I may not want to look. Oh joy. My radiator is gushing coolant everywhere. YAY! Kids passing are astonished and people watch the gushing green fluid.

Anyways, I'm guessing this is the alternators fault. I have the stock 65amp and have been through 5 of them in the past four months. Guessing with the addition of the MSD 6AL box, it just can't handle things. The fan doesn't seem to run when the battery gauge is anywhere below a 1/4. My question to you guys is, what amperage alternator should I get? I have an electric fan, 500watts of audio equipment, MSD6AL box, and numerous aftermarket gauges including a tach. Would the 130amp be enough?

Also, what the hell is keeping my brake lights on? The pedal goes up and down as normal. It isn't getting stuck down at all. My brake light on the dash is also constantly on now, even with the e-brake disengaged. AND also, there seems to be a very big drip coming from under the dash on the passenger side. What the hell could this be?

CLIFFS: My questions-
1. What amperage alternator should I get from PA performance if I have an electric fan, MSD6AL, 500 watts of audio equipment, working A/C, HIDs, and aftermarket gauges?
2. What is keeping my brake lights on, even when the pedal isn't being pushed down? Is the switch out?
3. What is the mysterious leak on the passenger side under the dash? It used to be a small leak but now it's dripping pretty good.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Why would you go through more than 2 alternators without testing the load on the electrical system and realizing you need more amps?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

They worked fine before. I just recently added the box though. Guess that was the straw that broke the camels back.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:24 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

brake light switch may be bad down on the pedal
Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Dripping coolant from passenger side? Sounds like heater core.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
pete88gt
1st Gear Member

it is probably just condesation build up from your a/c if its on the passenger side. btw, i have full msd, electric fan, 1000w audio set up, and i have the PA performance 130 amp in my 88gt and its great. never below about 11.5v with headlights on and blower motor on high and the fan on!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:07 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

they have 130amp kits for cheap with all the wiring you will need. last one I almost got was on Ebay I believe.

the leaking coolant I would be chasing to see if your radiator cracked, or your heater core is out, or maybe just a burst line, could even be a head gasket.

the brake lights I bet is just the switch on the pedal assembly.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Drain for a/c may be plugged. What color is the fluid? Check and see if brake light switch is faulty. How did the shopping trip go?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

The drain for the A/C? Where would that be located? Do I have to take out the dash to get to it? Liquid is clear, actually just water.

And shopping went very well. Got pictures. We were shopping for Lingerie night at the local hookah lounge.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
Go to my girlfriends house and am greeted by a naked body. .
and
Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
Got pictures. .
ya' don't say.........

Last edited by mjr46; 08-28-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Oh when it rains, it pours....