5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

**ROUGH IDLE/TIMING**

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 PM
mjay2020

Default **ROUGH IDLE/TIMING**

oNE DAY MY CAR WOULDN'T TURN OVER. hAD TO REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP. oNCE THE FUEL PUMP WAS REPLACED, i STARTED THE CAR AND IT WORKED. iT WAS RUNNING. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE IDLE IS VERY ROUGH AND IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT i HEAR A POPING NOISE. sOUNDS LIKE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE K&N FILTER AREA. pRY TO THE FUEL PUMP FAILURE THE CAR IDLED AND RAN GREAT. i REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP AND NOW IT RUNS LIKE ****.
aNOTHER QUESTION, THE SHUT OFF VALVE IN THE TRUNK, SHOULD THE RESET SWITCH BE UP OR DOWN. i DONT HAVE A SWITCH WHERE U PUSH DOWN N IT COMES UP ON ITS OWN. iF YOU PUSH DOWN ITS STAYING DOWN. USE A SMALL SCREWDRIVER TO BRING IT UP... hELP!!!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Inertia switch is what you are referring to I believe. Should be down for normal operation.

I believe. Should be down.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 PM
mjay2020

what about the rough idle. Why is it idling rough
Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjay2020
oNE DAY MY CAR WOULDN'T TURN OVER. hAD TO REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP. oNCE THE FUEL PUMP WAS REPLACED, i STARTED THE CAR AND IT WORKED. iT WAS RUNNING. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE IDLE IS VERY ROUGH AND IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT i HEAR A POPING NOISE. sOUNDS LIKE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE K&N FILTER AREA. pRY TO THE FUEL PUMP FAILURE THE CAR IDLED AND RAN GREAT. i REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP AND NOW IT RUNS LIKE ****.
aNOTHER QUESTION, THE SHUT OFF VALVE IN THE TRUNK, SHOULD THE RESET SWITCH BE UP OR DOWN. i DONT HAVE A SWITCH WHERE U PUSH DOWN N IT COMES UP ON ITS OWN. iF YOU PUSH DOWN ITS STAYING DOWN. USE A SMALL SCREWDRIVER TO BRING IT UP... hELP!!!!!
If it's popping through the intake check your timing and make sure your firing order is correct. Install a fuel pressure gauge on the shrader valve to make sure you're getting good pressure at the rails.