5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Idle problem...

Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM
)\/(!&\/3|

Exclamation Idle problem...

When the car is cold I accelerate it and it sounds like if its out off time, I first think that it was out off time, but when it got to temperature the acceleration is normally.

When its cold and I accelerate it slowly it doesn't accelerate it goes up and down (like if it's at 1,000 and I accelerate it slowly, it goes from 750-1,250 up and down) but when its at temperature it doesn't make it it just accelerate how it supposed to do.

I installed it a K&N air filter maybe that's the problem but I'm waiting for any ideas

Thanks!!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:12 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

may need to replace your HEGO. Check for codes, KOEO, KOER
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 AM
)\/(!&\/3|

HEGO?? Whats that? Codes in the ECU? Because it doesnt lgith the chek engine light.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Da chek endin lgith? Not necessarily comes on with a fault. HEGO is a heated EGO. Exhaust Gas Oxygen. (sensor)
Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Your check engine light doesn't have to on to have codes. I have 7 codes and my check engine light isn't on. Your best bet would be trying to pull codes and go from there.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 AM
mrspeaker

Did you put to much oil on the filter?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 AM
)\/(!&\/3|

The filter allready have the oil on it. I'm going to try to search for a OBDI readder because mine is OBDII and as soon as I read it i will let you know, but Thanks anyways and I'm still open for new ideas
Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 PM
crishock89

I have a 1988 gt 5.0 theses are the things I have done to it when I bought the car 2 years ago it was running fine besides the tranny the 3rd gear was grinding bad finally the tranny stop working so then I went out and bought a brand new tranny and clutch from ford racing.. When i put the clutch and tranny in the car was running like a champ again but the only problem was the floating bearing that goes between the clutch and the tranny the one that sits in the fork was always spinning. so I had to adjust the clutch well to do that I had to take apart the dash because the quad assembly has two different settings so it was on the wrong setting I had to fix that so I did that ... now the tranny and clutch was insink with each other but my dash was all apart now and wires everywhere so I slowly stared to re taped everything and connect everything back together now there was a remote starter that was installed before I got the car and by the time I put the wires and dash back together the remote starter staring to drain the battery and it wouldn’t start so I took it to a shop and they took it out and put the car back to factory check as much as they could but they where only a small place and only did remote starters mind you the car was not even staring so now they got it to start for me and it seems it holding a charge. But now which was still a problem the car every time you but it into gear and try to drive it would just stall out. so I started simple changing all the sensors throttle, map , idle, and changed the distributor, the cap , the wires and the spark plugs, them me and my friend started clean up the engine bay reconnecting wire that had old tape and just jerry rig and making them look better with better connections .. Now this car has and did have tons of wires that we can’t find anything that the connect to. We know that some of the wires are for the a/c that has been taking out but there is just tons of other connection that we can’t find... now mind you that it was like this in the begining and the car run great but like i saud i am trying to clean it up.. so here is my problem when I start the car it will start fine and idle great in neutral I can hit the gas and no miss firing at all but then when I but it into gear and drive it is fighting for power it wants go put it we just drive real slow and the rpms wont rev up and when you hit the gas it will start to stall out.. I just don’t get it and the turn signals will not work but the hazard light will yes I changed the relay plug things n both of them it was working like a year ago but when I put the dash back together stuff just stared going wrong but I am all most sure I connected everything right back the way it all was before.. I have timed it back to factory and everything I took the first spark plug out turn the cranks until the first spark plug hole had pressure aka closing the first piston and set the distributor in the right way had the spout plug out when timed it and then timed it then turn the car off and put the spout plug back in like I said I just don’t get it can some on please help me figure this out either email me afornataro89@gmail.com or call 412-310-4412 or something does anyone know of a good place I can take it that is around Pittsburgh PA thanks Chris
Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
)\/(!&\/3|

Well I installed the intake gaskets new and cleaned the sensors in the intake manifold, now it makes a good and stable idle, but I have one question because I believe that it is out of timing. How much degrees it goes BTDC or ATDC? I believe that it is out of time because when I accelerate it it make backfire but not in the back, where I don't know, and the intake pipe its hot like hell!!! I believe that the fires are in the intake pipe but I can't see it by myself

Any clues? ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Call a Priest

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle problem...