5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Imabalance vs internal balance

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Aluminum flywheels have their place, but because of the change in weight (and inertia due to the weight change) this can change the way your engine responds entirely, and it will. There's really no reason to mess with your flywheel unless you have something like a huge power curve from 4500-7500RPM's and all kinds of modifications done that would support using one - then I could understand it because an aluminum flywheel will get you to your desired RPM range much faster than if you had a steel flywheel (however this can really go both ways because if you had idle - 5500, this could potentially hurt you). This will make it very different to drive when engaging/disengaging the clutch because of the flywheel inertia difference. Some also argue the structural integrity of the flywheel under serious power conditions because of it's composition, but that's debatable. I would also keep in mind the gear ratios you're running as well.

Not trying to make a pun, but it's seriously all about balance. Lighter doesn't always mean better, but it can be given the right circumstances.
Where'd you cut and paste this from???? It will not change the way your engine responds, have you ever used one????? I have 1 in a 13 sec ride and one in a 10 sec ride and niether have difficulty on the street or at the track with engauging/disengauging the clutch and both launch like a **** and rev quick....heck my 89 with the oem flywheel is the one that suffers from slower revs but not saying it's flywheel related. If I let you drive either of mine and didn't tell you they had aluminum flywheels , you'd never known it if I hadn't told you OP, DON'T FEAR AN ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL......the only time I recommend one is when you have done every other mod possible , then this would be the last area to address if you desired such
Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
Where'd you cut and paste this from???? It will not change the way your engine responds, have you ever used one????? I have 1 in a 13 sec ride and one in a 10 sec ride and niether have difficulty on the street or at the track with engauging/disengauging the clutch and both launch like a **** and rev quick....heck my 89 with the oem flywheel is the one that suffers from slower revs but not saying it's flywheel related. If I let you drive either of mine and didn't tell you they had aluminum flywheels , you'd never known it if I hadn't told you OP, DON'T FEAR AN ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL......the only time I recommend one is when you have done every other mod possible , then this would be the last area to address if you desired such
When I said engine responds, I meant in correlation to the weight of the flywheel and RPM's increase/decrease as it has nothing to do with horsepower/torque. I don't own them (I chose billet steel for my T56) because I've seen what they CAN (note the word, CAN) do to other friend's rides given the right circumstances in the LSx/LT crowd. It CAN make a difference, but like I said - it really depends on everything else. To each their own. I wasn't bashing them, merely taking my perspective on them. I personally believe the money could be better applied elsewhere if it's just an average build that has no need for it.

Also note - what are your modifications in each of those cars? That will tell alot as to why you don't have issues.

On a side note, you might want to take a look at chromemoly flywheels. That could be promising in your direction. You'll still get something very lightweight, and it'll be much stronger that aluminum.

Last edited by DeltaElite121; 09-21-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

When I said engine responds, I meant in correlation to the weight of the flywheel and RPM's increase/decrease as it has nothing to do with horsepower/torque. I don't own them (I chose billet steel for my T56) because I've seen what they CAN (note the word, CAN) do to other friend's rides given the right circumstances in the LSx/LT crowd. It CAN make a difference, but like I said - it really depends on everything else. To each their own. I wasn't bashing them, merely taking my perspective on them. I personally believe the money could be better applied elsewhere if it's just an average build that has no need for it.

Also note - what are your modifications in each of those cars? That will tell alot as to why you don't have issues.

On a side note, you might want to take a look at chromemoly flywheels. That could be promising in your direction. You'll still get something very lightweight, and it'll be much stronger that aluminum.
the 13 sec ride was an "average build" the alum flywheel allowed quicker rev all the while not sacrificing launch or loss between shifts the 10 sec ride has everything you can think of bolt on done to it and a few extras AS for changing to a different flywheel, not gonna happen, the 13 sec car was sold and the 1o sec car , I'm done with modding it, it's my turn to watch others hold their pocket books above the toilet ...BTDT
Old 09-21-2010, 03:33 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
the 13 sec ride was an "average build" the alum flywheel allowed quicker rev all the while not sacrificing launch or loss between shifts the 10 sec ride has everything you can think of bolt on done to it and a few extras AS for changing to a different flywheel, not gonna happen, the 13 sec car was sold and the 1o sec car , I'm done with modding it, it's my turn to watch others hold their pocket books above the toilet ...BTDT
What gears did you run in the 13sec, and what camshaft profile were you running/what was the powerband? Did you have any idle or surging problems? I've considered a lighter flywheel for my CURRENT setup, but I have put my money elsewhere as the flywheel was not an important issue to address (plus I ended up getting a nasty deal on fresh machined and ported Dart 200cc heads that I couldn't pass up).
Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I almost went aluminum flywheel, but got a Centerforce SFI steel unit(cheaper), big ol beast. Did it just to have a more robust flywheel. Didn't want to have to deal with changing friction surfaces etc. It was heavier even than stock though....and at some point in the future I may go AL....or get the small diameter McLeod twin disc and see how it works out with inertia.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

What gears did you run in the 13sec, and what camshaft profile were you running/what was the powerband? Did you have any idle or surging problems? I've considered a lighter flywheel for my CURRENT setup, but I have put my money elsewhere as the flywheel was not an important issue to address (plus I ended up getting a nasty deal on fresh machined and ported Dart 200cc heads that I couldn't pass up).
iirc it was an old crane fireball cam 300/300 .500/.500 and powerband was 3200-5800 iirc according to cam card but it pulled way past that, it was carbed, and no idle issues or surge, this was a 66 mustang with 3.50 gears.
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=DSCN1157.mp4

Last edited by mjr46; 09-21-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 PM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

ya i can't say I have ever felt any negatives from an aluminum but maybe that is just me