5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Enign mount problems

Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Jarid

Default Enign mount problems

I have a 1980 mustang that originally had a 2.3 in it. I pulled a 1980 302 out of a 1972 econoline van. The problem I am having is the van mounts are a one piece engine mount that bolts directly to the block, and the mustang requires a two piece setup, where the bracket bolts to the block and the mount bolts to the bracket. I do not have a bracket to put on the block, nor can I find one. The only thing I can find that might work is a mount I found at summit racing. It does not come up when I search for engine mount for a 80 mustang, but shaped the same. If someone could please go to summitracing.com and look at part number pio A2344, compare it to the mounts they have for an 80 mustang, and tell me what you think? I was almost thinking that these mounts, compared to the ones that need brackets, might make the engine sit to low. I'm new to the mechanic life, and swapping engines and stuff, and could use some opinions of others with experience.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea, no do not buy those mounts.

How about you do the obvious thing and look for 5.0 mustang motor mounts?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...unts&year=1990

They mostly start with 83 because the 302 didn't come in the Fox till then but the K members are the same so a normal 5.0 mount will work.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Jarid

OK, at the risk of me being a D I C K here, lol, I did the obvious thing and looked up motor mount for a 5.0 mustang. And, the 255 mounts for a 80 mustang, and the 302 mounts for a 83 mustang, are the SAME EXACT MOUNTS. If you would have read my post completely you would have read that the problem I am having is the engine I have does not have the bracket on the block to bolt the mount to it, so regular engine mounts for a 80 255 or a 83 302, again they are the same exact part number, will not bolt to the block when I have nothing to bolt them to. The only way I can explain it better is to tell you to look at advanceautoparts.com, look up mounts for a 72 econoline van and compare them to an 83 302 mounts. See how the van mounts bolt directly to the block with two bolts? See how the mustang mounts are different and will not bolt directly to the block? I am not trying to be rude, but if you would have read the ENTIRE post, you would see why the obvious will not work.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I did read your whole post. A mustang 302 mount is 1 whole piece. 2 bolts into the block and a nut that holds it to the K member.

Get a pic of your issue.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Jarid

ok, so i went to the link you provided, and they do have mounts that bolt directly to the block. That is about the ONLY site that has mounts that bolt directly to the block like i need, but i did find some at mustang unlimited that fit 79-95 mustangs and they are a little cheaper.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...s&CatKey=74-01
Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Jarid

uhhh, no. if you go to a normal parts store like advance auto, napa, autozone, o'reilys, they only have engine mounts that are inserts. they do not bolt directly to the block. they have a threaded stud that goes to the k memeber, and a threaded stud that goes to a bracket, and the bracket is bolted to the block. the link you gave me, and the mustang unlimited link are the only places i have found mounts for a 302 that are one piece that bolt directly to the block.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

You can find motor mounts all over the place.

From advance's website. Not sure about 83 but here is 84's. I'm guessing they redesigned the mount in 84. Convertible mounts will work. They allow the motor to sit a little lower in the engine bay.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...51_10051_-1___
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Jarid

like i said, go to advanceautoparts.com, or autozone, napa, or o'reilys, look up 1983 5.0 mustang engine mounts. those are the only mounts that i can find, and they will not bolt directly to the block.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

YOU DON'T NEED 1983 MOUNTS GUY!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Jarid

wow. ok. uhhh, those mounts at the advance auto link you put up, WILL NOT BOLT DIRECTLY TO MY BLOCK. they bolt to a bracket, the bracket bolts to the block. I have talked to the ford company personally, and those engine mounts are inserts. If i do not have the bracket on the block, then i can't use those mounts. the other mount you see that has two holes that look like it will bolt to the block, that is a transmission mount.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Enign mount problems