5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 GT Wiper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Default 89 GT Wiper Removal

I've been searching and trying for hours.

I have no idea what "clip" this is that everyone says needs to be pulled out. A picture or video of this would be of great help.

Thank you.

edit; wiper arm, to be more specific.

Last edited by soon2bu; 10-26-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Hopefully this will help.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Wiper arm or transmission? Arm pull back on arm so is aimed at front of carlook to where goes on shaft. Pull clip outward pull arm off. Motor unbolt move outward at drive arn there is fastner like washer with clip. Pull out on clip slide fastner off. Kinda vague but that's all there is.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:19 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

That picture is MORE than helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Now, while I'm at the embarrassing questions, how do I open the trunk lid? I unlocked it from inside the car, and can't find the lever to pop it open. I also can't use the key because the car has the key holes shaved.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if the key holes are shaved, and the electronic popper isn't working, then you have to climb into the trunk and unlatch it.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

no button in the glove box ?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM
jsaleen90
1st Gear Member

look in the glove box you will have 1 button or maybe 2 depending on the years. it is on the left side right behind where the lid would sit when closed.

One is to pop the hatch. Mine only works when the key is in the ignition and the other if yours has it is to pop the gas tank.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I have the two buttons, which I've pressed several times. The trunk seems loose, I thought maybe it had a latch to unlock it fully. I aslo tried unlatching it from the inside, but it was too dark and I didn't have much time, so I couldn't find it.

I pushed the gas tank button, and it didn't open, and now that you mention your key needs to be in the ignition, it makes sense. Thanks a lot guys.

I just picked up this project car, and hopefully I'll get this good of responses, and as promptly in the future. I'll have to make a build thread to ask all my dumb questions in.

Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

OK. The reason I couldn't find the tab on the passenger side wiper, is because there isn't a tab. I've pulled the driver side one out, but the wiper still didn't budge.

In the case of the passenger side, what should I do if the wiper arm doesn't disengage? Also, to be sure, I pull the tab out, and lift on the arm? as the whole piece would come off?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

lift up on the arm so that it bends out (don't think into it too much, just lift on it) then take a small screwdriver and pry the little tab out (you may not need a screw driver mine have always been tight) then, insuring that the tab does not go back, let the arm unbend, it should now stand off of the windsheild ( by itself) and you can lift at the very base (the round area at the car body) and the wiper arm should come off.

and in the case of the hatch release, the key has to be on for it to work, the gas tank release it should work no matter what, make sure that you're pushing the button really well, I've ran across some that wouldn't open unless you used a pen to push it really deep (insert sex joke here). With the key on and hitting the switch it should make some kind of noise to let you know its working, if its working but won't open just have someone stand at the rear of the car and lift as you hit the button, there is an emergency release for the gas tank behind the panel in the back too so don't go breaking the fuel door lock to get it open

Last edited by enix187; 10-27-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: can't spell

Quick Reply: 89 GT Wiper Removal