5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Couple of questions, heat, electrical

Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
DitchDoctor

Default Couple of questions, heat, electrical

I'm trying to fix a mess in my 88 GT from the previous owner. For some reason he disconnected everything heat and A/C related. I can sort of understand A/C for power, though why not just unplug the A/C compressor (which he left in place to use I guess as a pulley) but he cut all the lines and removed them INCLUDING the heat lines.

SO I know the water return goes to the line in the water pump but where does the water send come from? In the 351w block on my Bronco it comes from the left front of the intake manifold right behind the thermostat housing. Where does it go on the mustang? I can't find a capped line. On the Bronco a fitting threads in there. On the stang it looks like the temp send unit is there.

So, can someone post a picture of where the water send is that runs back to the heater core so I can get some heat hooked back up?

Also next question, my turn signals don't work and my hazards do. I've searched and read everyone else's threads on their turns not working. I've tried cleaning the hazard switch, that didn't do anything. I've taken the multi-function switch apart and looked at it. All contacts look clean. I've jumped power to the output to the bulbs and that makes the bulbs come on and the dash indicators (at the connectors at the back of the switch) I can also jump power to the flasher output wire in that connector and that makes the flasher work. My wipers only work on the high setting and then they quit after a few passes unless you giggle the switch so I'm leaning towards the multi function switch being the problem. The high beam control and the flash to pass functions still work but like I said, the turn signals don't work and the wipers only work on high (some times). I'd really like to avoid buying that switch as for some reason its $200.00 everywhere I've looked. Why is the switch for the older cars so much more expensive than all the others? The 87-93 switch is 5x more expensive than for any other car.

Anyway, some help with those two items would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Turn signal flasher behind glove box opening to left.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

Check fuses, it sounds like your one of you circuit breakers has gone bad. On the note of the switches ebay is your friend, but i don't believe you need a new one. Your heater hoses, i can only think of the one you already have, then theres the bypass hose on the thermostat housing.... If no one chimes in just bump this friday and i'll check my car (not at home until then)
Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

This what you need if you want to put the heater back original. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Tube-Assembly The ECT is located in the assembly also.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 11-03-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 AM
DitchDoctor

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
This what you need if you want to put the heater back original. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Tube-Assembly The ECT is located in the assembly also.
It looks like on the end of that piece is an adapter. What I thought would be there. A fitting that screws in to the intake manifold then the temp sensor screws into it. I guess the PO took that whole thing out and then just screwed the temp sender directly into the intake manifold. On the Bronco its the same fitting but since the upper plenum faces the other way there is a piece of tubing that comes out of the fitting and stops around the edge of the passenger side valve cover. If I can find that fitting I can do the rest with regular rubber heater hose. Thank you!

A picture would still be helpful for confirmation if anyone can I would really appreciate it!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 AM
DitchDoctor

Originally Posted by enix187
Check fuses, it sounds like your one of you circuit breakers has gone bad. On the note of the switches ebay is your friend, but i don't believe you need a new one. Your heater hoses, i can only think of the one you already have, then theres the bypass hose on the thermostat housing.... If no one chimes in just bump this friday and i'll check my car (not at home until then)
I'll check the circuit breakers. I've checked the fuses, all are good. I also checked the fusible links out at the starter relay. I will check the CBs with a continuity tester tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Also, E Bay is where I'm getting that $200(ish) price and also where I can see the comparison. All the later year model stuff is much much cheaper. I saw a few used ones on e-bay too but I'd be really concerned buying something used as it might have the same problem...
Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 AM
DitchDoctor

Originally Posted by Bubba 95SN
Turn signal flasher behind glove box opening to left.
I can try popping a new one in there just for giggles, but when I jumped power out to it from the connector up at the steering column (when I took the MF switch out) it blinked.. and when its bad doesn't the side you have on just stay on without blinking? I get nothing on it, either side...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 AM
DitchDoctor

Found it! I guess I do have to order that part, or figure out a way to make a fitting and an adapter for the temp sensor...