5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stock rear lower control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 PM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

Default stock rear lower control arm bushings

ok so i am going to be replacing the rear lower control arm bushings and i cant figure out if i need to buy the round or oval poly ones i have looked under my car and cant see if the bushings is round or oval any help please
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

dont replace the bushings... replace the entire arm.

Dont be fooled by companies selling "low budget" control arms... or the cheap sets that can be found for $150 or even less. Lets use these as an example.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-c...-kit-7998.html
these control arms, while strong, offer one of the worse bushing designs ever. The hard poly bushings will increase the suspension bind inherent in the psuedo 4-link that the mustang has.

If you are going to be doing street driving, you WANT some flex in the rear end. The poly bushings stiffen up the rear so much that it can actually DECREASE traction by not allowing the suspension to do its job. In the case of a street driven car, or even a entry level road course driven car. It is wise to leave a stock set of upper control arms. You can go with a set of lowers like these.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=498

Now, if drag racing is your thing, and you drive the car on the street... then I'd recommend this setup.

Lowers: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=537
Uppers: http://baselinesuspensions.com/kits/streetlaunch.htm

If you plan to drag race the car, and really need something to get the power to the ground, I'd suggest you go with setup like this.

Lowers: http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/da-lca2.htm
Uppers: http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/st-uca1.htm

Last edited by AdderMk2; 11-29-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

if i had the money i would do that but for know i just have the money to replace the bushing but if i was replacing them i would have gone with the ones from maximum motorsports anyway that is what i am going to do my whole suspension in. thank for the info though
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

dont be thick headed... don bother replacing the bushings in the stock arms. you will just end up with money into ****ty arms..

save up and buy good stuff
Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

IF you do decide to go ahead and replace them look at the body end of your lower control arms. I think stock they are all oval on that end.

But as already said, don't waste the money. UPR sells some nice lowers for a decent price as well.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 AM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

like i stated above on my suspension stuff i am going maximum motorsports i am thinking about saving up just to make it easier to figure it out but thanks for all the help

oh i am not being thick headed i would replace them gladly if i had the money i am trying to get rid of the noise in the rear end when i let off the gas i know it can either be the u joints or the lower control arm bushings so that is why i was only going to replace them but i am considering saving for a couple more months.

also i plan on making this a street, strip and semi road race car which lower control arms should i get from maximum motorsports and does any one know the benifit of the adjustable spring perch

Last edited by nightmare90gt; 11-30-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The spring perch is adjustable so you can use taller tires if needed for the strip and then lower it back down for a normal tire.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by projectresto83
The spring perch is adjustable so you can use taller tires if needed for the strip and then lower it back down for a normal tire.
not even close...

Its so you can accurately set the Instant Center, and Anti-Squat dimensions of the rear suspension geometry

Last edited by AdderMk2; 11-30-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yes, it is very close.

One description:
This feature allows you to raise ride height by 2" or lower ride height by 1". This is especially useful for clearing taller/wider track day tires & then being able to return to a reasonable ride height for your street tires.

MM's description:
The easy adjustment of MM's Adjustable Control Arms allows raising the rear ride height by up to 2 inches, or lowering it as much as 1 inch. A heavy-duty weight-jack bolt, similar to those used in NASCAR, makes this possible. The spring perch design allows easy ride height changes, with the car still on the ground. Road racers and autocrossers can set not only the ride height, but also corner weights, for optimum handling. A car can be fully loaded up with gear for a road trip, and then have the rear ride height adjusted back up to normal, to avoid bottoming out. These control arms are available with mounts for a factory-style rear swaybar, or without any swaybar mounts, for use with MM's Adjustable Rear Swaybar.

There are many reasons for it but yes what adder said are some of the more important parts about it that are not described but the people who make and sell them.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 PM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

so which ones do you guys think i should go with adjustable or not adjustable or the road race ones

Quick Reply: stock rear lower control arm bushings