5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

which heads?

Old 08-20-2005, 03:57 AM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

Default which heads?

im getting new heads and wondering which to go with. I know AFR heads are good, but what are the best bang for the buck? trick flow heads are like $1150 and dynoed at 78 hp increase on a "slightly modded" 5.0 cobra engine which only puts out 235 hp (10hp more than my car stock, but im running about 300 hp) sounds good to me- I think-lol. any advice would help...thanks
Old 08-20-2005, 04:22 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: which heads?

i like most of the after market heads, the trick flow tw heads have the 2.02 valves.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:24 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

ya u want the 2.02 valves for sure some places my say CC's instead of 2.02 inch or whatever
Old 08-20-2005, 05:11 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

first a cobra has more then 235hp

202 is too large of a valve for a small CI motor unless your FI. you can do more with a 1.85 or 194 then that 202 valve. i would plan a total package and then go from there
Old 08-20-2005, 06:19 AM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

1993 Ford Mustang Cobra Hatchback 4.9L 235 hp V8

1993 would be the final year of the original Fox body Mustang. Ford re-introduced the Cobra, rated at 235 horsepower and distinguished by unique front and rear bodywork.

First of all, your wrong. dont get cocky unless you can back it up! thanks for the advice but my car is FI anyway, so wouldnt the 2.02 be better?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

now listen son. the motors 93 were underated. they didnt change anything that could effect HP figures for 93 for the HO. so it still was at 225. so now with added parts do you really think that a cobra is only 235. its been shown and known that the cobra package produces around 265 hp to 275hp. so now that youre school dont ever come at me with some false info. ford went with a lower rating to help with insurance, just like ford does now for the new cobras. come on think son, think!!!!!!!!!!!. and quite a few on here will back up my statement

NOT EFI, FI as in forced Induction, its basic airflow theory. yes a larger valve will allow more air to be passed by but if you cant produce enough airflow now you create neg effects in the flow rate. for example most ppl put 202s in motors larger then 350CI so why would you need a 202 in a little 302? now if you had a 302 that just spun close to 8k rpms then i could see you needing that extra size in valve but reality none on here are.

now that you got info and more info dont question me!!!!!!!!!!!sad to say i know my ****
Old 08-21-2005, 12:45 AM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

alright, fair enough... that does seem to make sense. and yes- I know forced induction, but with the 302, ud think that bigger would make more sense??? well anyways, you do know ur **** so sorry
Old 08-21-2005, 12:48 AM
CaTalyst.X
1st Gear Member

dont mean to sound like a dick..but ownd

-CaT
Old 08-21-2005, 01:35 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

bigger isnt always better. think of a motor as what it really is. a large air pump. you can put on the largest opening possible but if the internals are only good for a 1/3 of that then whats the extra air in doing? its creating turbulence. so a larger 202 valve will work and you will make power but if you used a smaller valve liek a 184 or a 195 or whatever they are it would have a better power curve. also without a cam thats seeing over .560 of lift that large of a valve isntbeing used to its full potential. think of it as opening your garage door. you can walk out of the garage when its only 2/3s of the way open kinda like whats the point of having the extra 1/3 of space... well thats for either a large person or you truck. now think of the 202 like that. why would you need a 202 when youre only capable of allowing enough air to flow out of the 184. what will that extra opening do? without a cam/motor combo it wont use teh valve to it full potenial. its kinda also like over carbing a motor, over carbed will cause a motor to run lean and be flat/dead. and when you go small carb you gain better throttle response. and with a stock 1.76 valve its a good valve for teh stock motor. it creates a great powerband and torque curve for such a small motor. and most builders only recomend that you up grade to a 195 for the largest small CI motor. now if you had a 347 or larger i would deff use a 202. if i had a 302 that spun 8k will most airflow is needed then a 202 is must. but a 306 with a cam around .540 or smaller really dont need that extra size in valve. also with that large of a valve you will lose some throttle response down low. I by no means saying a 202 shouldnt ever be used but it should only be used in the right application. and a stock or near stock shouldnt have it. i know tricflow sells its heads with 202s for 302s and they make good power but truth fully put that head on a motor of 377 or larger and see how much air flow you just picked up and that results power. but a 350hp TF combo with 202 can be dogged by a put together combo with a smaller valve. ive seen great dyno sheets with a 184/195 intake valve and 154 exhaust valves.

sorry if any of this sounds jiberish but im tired and gettign ready for bed, hoped this helped some.

oh if you wanted to go with a TFTW head it would be a good head and make power but it really would benefit from having a larger cam then the TFs1

same as a 70mmtb on a stock motor, no need for it same as a 70mm on a high geard mid range motor. smaller tb would have better throttle response with a high gear/midrange combo then it would with a 70mm. now if you got a lowgeard/hi range motor a 70mm would be very benefical

in the end its all in what the future of the car holds, is how you plan your mods

now to answer your question... i would see what youre total plans are for the car and then decide what head would be more benefical for the setup. who knows a set of thumpers could be abetter setup then a set of TFTWs. and sorry to be a dick earlier i was going on only a few hours of sleep and you tried to own me about some misrepsented facts. yes fords shows 235hp but thats not the true figures they produce but if you want to think of it as making 235 then think of it as being close to 235rwhp. same with a new cobra 380 is claimed but on the dyno they see around 370rwhp.......so whos lying? its ford and GM does it also with LS1 figures
Old 08-21-2005, 02:22 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

to each his own . i like the 2.02. you can play with these now & add the high horses later and still use them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which heads?