5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ok...all I did was change the oil.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:55 PM
bobvillaoftn

Id go with vacuum leak or loose wire somewhere. Also maybe check fuel pressure to see if your pumps going. Whens was the last time you changed the fuel filter, if I remember right 30-40k miles or 1-2 years is a good rule of thumb on them.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Hm. It has been more than two years. Would a clogged fuel filter really make it run like that though?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:46 AM
bobvillaoftn

Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
Hm. It has been more than two years. Would a clogged fuel filter really make it run like that though?
It can, it sucks all the gunk toward the front while running/pump turned on causing vacuum or whatever allowing it to start an idle a short time then no fuel flow, when shut off suctions released so fuel gets by. Its worth a try. Heck just unhook the end toward the motor and see if it flows fuel through it well, if not unhook the line from the tank to see if its getting fuel, if no fuel through either pumps gone, if fuel through line only but not filter...bingo ya need a filter.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 AM
bobvillaoftn

Also Id change it anyways, any water in the fuel will cause it to rust or corrode so Id do it just to make sure there wasnt any junk in my lines, inj.'s. You'd probly be surprised if you let it pour out and see what alls in there.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 AM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

I would be checking fuel pressure with KOEO before i start pulling everything to peices, and +1 on the vacuum hoses. How does the vacuum hose look going to the FPR?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

All hose is new and in good condition. We had plenty of it laying around from our last project so we replaced all that were on the upper manifold. Also, as I said, the car was running beautifully until I changed the oil and tried to rev it up. Also, don't you need a check engine light for the KOEO test?

The fuel filter or fuel pump idea is sounding more plausible. I'll change the fuel filter and get back to you guys. KOEO.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hey,

KOEO = Key On, Engine Off. The pump should prime the system at KOEO, so you should get a reading from the fuel rail
Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

AH! I did that. Pressure is pretty low. Maaan I don't have money for a pump. Anyone wanna donate? I'll be sure to remember you when I finish med school. lmao
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

i had a pump die on me one time.i pulled it out of the garage and it ran fine.shut it off and went to leave for work 20 mins later,and it would come on but wasnt putting out enough psi to start
Old 12-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Son of a *****. I put in the new fuel filter and now the **** will just turn over. I can hear the pump coming on but from the sounds that are coming through the lines, it sounds like the gas is just dribbling down them. Guess I do need a new pump...

Recommendations? This one was a holley 210lph, I believe. Only lasted two years. :/

Quick Reply: Ok...all I did was change the oil.