5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CEL doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by ponyponer
hahahahahahaha nice. i did that with the low coolant bulb. apparently it's a common problem with our years or maybe a lot of fox's i guess..
it's a common problem because of the years of neglect and abuse and lack there of , of maintenence, not because of engineering flaws, and I speak of the Warining lights in general coming on whichever they may be, furthermore what causes the issues is the fact that young kids are allowed to own theses rides and basterdize them in everywhich way cause they ain't got a freakin' clue how to work on them nor have the least bit of knowledge how the systems work....they think that automotive tech is just unbolting and bolting things together and that all that is needed for a repair is a wrench, hammer, side cutters and electrical tape........lol I say , I'm with bowtietraitor

Last edited by mjr46; 01-04-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
it's a common problem because of the years of neglect and abuse and lack there of , of maintenence, not because of engineering flaws, and I speak of the Warining lights in general coming on whichever they may be, furthermore what causes the issues is the fact that young kids are allowed to own theses rides and basterdize them in everywhich way cause they ain't got a freakin' clue how to work on them nor have the least bit of knowledge how the systems work....they think that automotive tech is just unbolting and bolting things together and that all that is needed for a repair is a wrench, hammer, side cutters and electrical tape........lol I say , I'm with bowtietraitor
ROFL!!

Im going to use some of that for my new forum sig!

Last edited by mjr46; 01-04-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

relax guys i was just busting *****, and being a goof about taking out the bulb! i wouldn't really advise anyone on taking it out. they just drive you crazy sometimes! my suburban honestly i don't even care. the light comes, on and off as it pleases. i forget what sensor code i got. there may have even been two. i am sure everyone thinks i should fix it. the truck has god knows how many miles, and the odometer, and speedometer don't even work! the mileage if i am correct is stuck at 100936 miles. i know it's got over twice that, and i'm not about to fix it. my dad told me as of the year before he died[2006] it start rolling, and stop rolling for months or years.

the low coolant light on my stang i don't really know what caused it. i just took the bulb out. i know the coolant isn't low. i figure i really don't need that. i can just look under the hood when i need to check that. though the water pump did go about 10k miles after that light started going off that time, but i'm positive it was full at the time it came on. with the check engine there are like 120 different possible codes! it's a little more complex than the low coolant light.

as far as the electrical tape goes i was that kid about 22-23 years ago! all the **** i did to my 73 mach 1 i had at that time. making air intakes out of pvc pipe. i was 18 and replaced my first alternator. i did a real rig job with the plug. i mean a really bad hack job. i taped the wires together. luckily i realized that before i fired the car. i imagine that would have been the best story to share had those wires touched with the car running!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

lol^^^ no worry it's all good, I've got some good ones too...house wiring to hold sway bars in place and mechanics wire is ones best friend
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

whao whao whao... lets hold on a minute here mjr and get a few things straight

engineering flaws,
Engineers rarely flaw, especially the ones from north america

the fact that young kids are allowed to own theses rides and basterdize them in everywhich way cause they ain't got a freakin' clue how to work on them
Its not all always us youngens. There's alot of idiot's alot there that own em too haha. We've all seen the photos on here labeled "look at what the previous owner did haha"
Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

i got a good previous owner one. i don't think it was the previous owner. i think it was a mechanic the previous owner too it too. it had an accident before i got it i think about a year before i got. the bumper was replaced, and i guess thats it. i don't know why they did this. maybe the guy didn't have full coverage, and the shop wanted to stiff him. i found this out after i bought it. whoever fixed it put a patch in the radiator. obviously the radiator was punctured in the collision. the hole was maybe the size of a quarter. actually it was bigger it had to have been. i saw the patch job, and laughed. 4 years later after i bought the car i'm about a mile from home, and i'm turning the corner coming through town, and i start smelling coolant like real bad. then i see a trail in out my side mirrors. it was a night, but i could see it, and the temperature gauge is in the red. it must have pissed it out. thats why i wanna say the hole was bigger than a quarter. there was smoke coming from under the hood. luckily i didn't destroy the motor, but i popped the hood, and it had to be the hottest i have ever felt a hood before. i knew it was the radiator. i remember coming up on my block, and shutting the car off before i even had it to a stop. i just rolled in. i thought i ****ed the whole car up. i was having a busy life at the time, and it took a year for me to get around to fixing it. plus i just drove the mach 1 around a lot during that time. that is my award for the best hack job i have encountered with any of my own vehicles!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Bobert

Engineers rarely flaw, especially the ones from north america

Its not all always us youngens. There's alot of idiot's alot there that own em too haha. We've all seen the photos on here labeled "look at what the previous owner did haha"
hey now, you can't cut and paste from my original quote, you removed the not because of part.......lol I caught ya'
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Bowtietraitor

Ok, just for a second lets remember how this thread started: RTW didn't have a CEL- LITERALLY!! The fact is that there is a percentage of people who really, really want specific cars (Mustangs, 'Vette's, Camaro's, Firebird's, etc...) and can hardly afford GAS let alone repairs. Some of us do it right: we take our time to find the right car, and then take months- even years doing the repairs until everything is back the way it was designed to be. My whole life I've always heard poeple complaining about that "damn 'puterized bull-****... Ya know ya don't need none-a-it... It's just there to getcha to the dealer anyways..." and It just kills me to see these people get these cars- cars they supposedly "REALLY WANT". They hack them up cause they're either too poor or too stupid to fix something correctly. Then to have the arrogance (like THEY actually know better...) to say you "don't need" certain systems just blows my mind. Last I checked it was advances in technology that allowed little things like fuel injection, airbags, and "them damn power doo-hickeys" that are more often than not the reasons we want certain vehicles in the first place.

My point is: if you can't afford it- don't screw it up. The repair will wait until you can, and if it can't then mabey an old GEO is more in line with your current economic demograph. Clear tail-lights and duct tape are fine ON A HONDA, but doing things half assed is why nice cars wind up on jackstands next to a 30 year old doublewide...

This crap reminds me of a song called "Welfare Cadillac". Google it...

Last edited by Bowtietraitor; 01-05-2011 at 09:05 AM.