Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
old83GT

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Mustang GT
Default max cam lift and duration with stock set-up?

I have an '86 5.0 HO that i'm running with stock heads and lifters along with flat top pistons. I have an Eldelbrock Performer RPM dual plane intake with a holley 650 cfm double pumper carb. I am currently running a ford racing E303 cam in it now. I am looking for a cam that is going to give a pretty nasty soundling idle with decent driveability and a rpm range of 2200-6500. Any ideas????
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
old83GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
04ShadowStang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT
officialmrbitter
Send a message via AIM to 04ShadowStang Send a message via Skype™ to 04ShadowStang

Well, from everything I've read on the 5.0 - the E303 seems to be the all-around winner... Of course, I'm a 5.0 newbie, so take that with a grain of salt lol...

In general, there are so many cams out there that it really comes down to what you're planning on doing with your Mustang, and your end-goal (do any of us have those?).
Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
old83GT

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Mustang GT

Yeah not sure any of us reallys knows. lol The E303 was an awesome street cam. I'm looking for something thats a little more narly sounding.
old83GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1970 Mach 1

The first question you need to ask yourself is do you want a "narly" sound or do you want performance. If you want a "narly" sound then download a nascar sound clip to an ipod and play that while you are driving around. If you want performance you need to take a look at what the restrictions are in your system.

You have already got the intake, carb and cam done. Unless there are other mods you havent mentioned then there is no use slapping another cam when you havent fixed the other restricions in your system.

Time to take a look at headers, exaust, ignition and your heads. I will leave it up to you to decide what to do as far as exaust goes. It seems like there is a million options as far as the fox bodies go, i will let the fox body guys lead you in the best direction here.

But for heads take a look at this link.

http://mustangbarn.com/portmatching.html

This fixes the biggest restriction in the entire system. Ford has been notorious for making poor exaust ports.

Also what type of distributor are you running? Duraspark, points style w/pertronics, eec IV, aftermarket? Depending on what you are running you might be able to have it recurved to boss 302 specs.
rtintwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Jayson95GT
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 95 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by old83GT View Post
Yeah not sure any of us reallys knows. lol The E303 was an awesome street cam. I'm looking for something thats a little more narly sounding.
The problem with the really "narly" sounding cams is that the major valve overlap that causes the lopey idle also causes some other problems such as low vacuum at idle as well as difficulty idling, and some even have problems with overheating. I know this because I learned the hard way, although I havn't had problems with overheating myself. I advise you take this other gentleman's advice and upgrade your heads and exhaust first, the difference it makes is truly amazing....

Mods: 347 stroker kit, AFR 185cc heads, xtreme efi comp cam 286 intake duration 300exhaust duration .579 lift, Trickflow track heat intake, 36lb injectors +FR & adjustable fpr, 3.73 gears, 3200-3500 stall, AODE HD2 shiftkit, longtubes + 2.5" exhaust, and a few other little things.
Jayson95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
82 black sunshine

Vehicle: 82 gt 83 capri rs 81 bronco

You are running a e-cam with stock pistons?I just installed one in mine same engine(86) and when i rolled it over i had a valve to piston issuse.I might wrong but it went right though the clay or is it just that close to piston.thanks in advance
82 black sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 black sunshine View Post
You are running a e-cam with stock pistons?I just installed one in mine same engine(86) and when i rolled it over i had a valve to piston issuse.I might wrong but it went right though the clay or is it just that close to piston.thanks in advance
that's because 86 was the only year the 5.0 h.0 pistons were manufactured without valve reliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
AdderMk2
Banned

Vehicle: 94 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ShadowStang View Post
Well, from everything I've read on the 5.0 - the E303 seems to be the all-around winner... Of course, I'm a 5.0 newbie, so take that with a grain of salt lol...

In general, there are so many cams out there that it really comes down to what you're planning on doing with your Mustang, and your end-goal (do any of us have those?).
please dont give out any more advise.

OP, the E-cam is a horrible choice.

You should consider investing in a new shortblock, something with pistons that are notched for inline valved heads. then get yourself a decent set of heads (if budget allows). If you cant afford them, grab some GT-40 irons and select a GOOD cam. hell, even the TFS1 would be a better choice.
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
95_GT_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 Mustang GTS
Send a message via AIM to 95_GT_Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtintwo View Post
But for heads take a look at this link.

http://mustangbarn.com/portmatching.html

This fixes the biggest restriction in the entire system. Ford has been notorious for making poor exaust ports.
Nice link =D

'95 GTS with 46K miles with some bolt-ons.
http://www.youtube.com/IrishCarbombs85
95_GT_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1970 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_GT_Stang View Post
Nice link =D
With the port matching its very possible to get 300 hp with stock heads. You are never going to be able to build a 9 second beast. But if all you are wanting is a fun street car without spending alot of money this is the ticket.
rtintwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
302, 50, 50l, cam, duration, engine, flat, ford, ho, lift, max, pistons, stock, top, woth