5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gear Whine

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 AM
pete88gt
1st Gear Member

Default Gear Whine

Anyone had any gear whine with FRPP gears? I just swapped in some 3.73s with new bearings and I've rebuilt it twice double checking everything backlash, bearing preload, etc. gear pattern looks great. These are used gears off ebay apparently from an 03 gt rear end...I have heard that if they've ever whined before, they'll always whine again. Any comments or suggestions?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

on used gears, it's not about getting a decent pattern, it's putting them back in the same spot in accordance with the rear they came out of, unless you know the shim and pattern it gave in the rear it came out of as well as the backlash of that rear, it can be difficult to avoid the issue you now have, also depends on if they made noise in the rear they came out of......once the pattern is run, there is no going back = start with a new set
Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

do yourself a favor and get new gears and start over i did a gear install on my 05 with used 3.73s and i had the old shims i lined up the pattern perfect to the old wear marks and they still wined start with new gears make sure you replace the bearing races ( not sure how to spell it.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
pete88gt
1st Gear Member

yeh, i've replaced all of the bearings and races...i didn't think about having to follow the original pattern the had when installed before. oh well, it's really not that bad of a whine. not enough for me to justify buying new gears. hell i spent 60 bucks on bearings races and seals and then only 90 on the gears. when a new set of bearings and gears is like pushing 300 bucks. thanks guys
Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM
82 black sunshine

I didn`t notice a whine in mine till i went with polyurethane on the uppers.Was told they all sound like that when you change bushings but changed gear and bearings like everyone else did and still whines.Don`t know if that helps
Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 82 black sunshine
I didn`t notice a whine in mine till i went with polyurethane on the uppers.Was told they all sound like that when you change bushings but changed gear and bearings like everyone else did and still whines.Don`t know if that helps
bushings do not cause the rear to whine nor transmit harmonics as such ...whomever told you such is clueless, I have poly bushings and no whine
Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 PM
82 black sunshine

They do transmit noise and vibrations and the guy works for roush livonia and said twice as stiff means twice the noise and harsher ride.He is my brother so he called me some names first then dug around in garage till he found a old package and sure enough it warns you about increased noise and harsher ride.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 82 black sunshine
They do transmit noise and vibrations and the guy works for roush livonia and said twice as stiff means twice the noise and harsher ride.He is my brother so he called me some names first then dug around in garage till he found a old package and sure enough it warns you about increased noise and harsher ride.
he can tell you what he wants to fluff an inability to install gears properly, think about it if you install gears properly and there is no whine then how does it magically appear, and say the bushings do transmit noise more and make the whine now noticable, the prob is not the bushings, and I could careless what the package says, the prob is the gears or install of such, it suffice to say I've intalled poly bushings and gear installs in more than a few rides for people and not had such an issue.......why am I even debating this with you, your diagnosis is not even close to the op's prob ,besides those dang package disclaimers are only ever put on there to purge a manufactorer of any responsibility with product satisfaction also better read the fine print on the package, as you state "increased noise/harsher ride" not Increased "GEAR WHINE"............. While increased road noise may be the case with such a bushing it does not go hand in hand with Gear whine, if such a bushing install causes the noise to be more prounounced the prob should not be attributed to the bushing but a prob that was already there just now more prounounced and more audible with such a rigid bushing....do you understand what I'm saying??

Last edited by mjr46; 01-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
he can tell you what he wants to fluff an inability to install gears properly, think about it if you install gears properly and there is no whine then how does it magically appear, and say the bushings do transmit noise more and make the whine now noticable, the prob is not the bushings, and I could careless what the package says, the prob is the gears or install of such, it suffice to say I've intalled poly bushings and gear installs in more than a few rides for people and not had such an issue.......why am I even debating this with you, your diagnosis is not even close to the op's prob ,besides those dang package disclaimers are only ever put on there to purge a manufactorer of any responsibility with product satisfaction also better read the fine print on the package, as you state "increased noise/harsher ride" not Increased "GEAR WHINE"............. While increased road noise may be the case with such a bushing it does not go hand in hand with Gear whine, if such a bushing install causes the noise to be more prounounced the prob should not be attributed to the bushing but a prob that was already there just now more prounounced and more audible with such a rigid bushing....do you understand what I'm saying??
epic win lol
Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
2008vistablue
1st Gear Member

ford has had serious issues on the 3.73's. lots of shelby owners complaining about them including me. gears installed by a well know ford motorsport dealer with backlash at 11 thousands and patter checked....heel to toe ,etc. Its the newer gears that have been hobbed....so there appears to be some type of issue with these parts.

Quick Reply: Gear Whine