5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

No spark, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 PM
pooze

Default No spark, won't start

I dropped a 302 HO from a 91' mustang into my truck a few months ago. She has been running great since, but as of latley I've been experiencing a really strange problem.

At first, it seemed the motor would start randomly. Sometimes it would fire right away, other times it would take forever to get it to go (I usually let it sit for a while with the fuel pumps on and then it would fire). At one point, it died on the road. I replaced the ignition coil and it was fine for another few weeks. As of a few days ago, it won't start at ALL. The strange thing is, once the vehicle started and ran, it ran absolutley fine--starting it was the problem.

So far I've checked all fuses, determined my fuel pumps are running and there is fuel pressure, all connectors and relays were tested and seem ok. I replaced the ignition coil with another one and tested the old one, both appear to be ok. I replaced the starter with a new (better) one and it cranks the motor over fine, but it just won't start.

I checked for spark at the distributor with both a timing light on the #1 plug wire and by putting a spark plug into it and grounding it. There wasn't any spark. So, I changed the TFI module on the distributor and checked everything out. Rotor was fine, cap was fine, the distributor IS turning the rotor, so everything appears as though it should be working but still no spark.

Any ideas? Is there something I may be missing here? I know the ECC relay is fine and the fuel pump interia switch is fine because the pumps run and everything appears to be ok. I also tried pulling codes from the computer today by jumping the ECC test connector and using a timing light and voltimeter. Strangely, it doesn't blink any codes, just has a solid light (or solid 12.5 volts). I'm going to try and obtain an actual code reader and use that later tonight if I can.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 AM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: No spark, won't start

Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest, is to pull the codes. If you can't get anything, even an all clear, first check your connections. Especially since this is a fairly recent installation, a connector could have come loose. If that's not it, and you can't get any codes at all, you may have a fried computer.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:58 PM
pooze

Default RE: No spark, won't start

Yeah, after some additional testing and a new pick-up coil and TFI module (yet another one) I bought a code reader from walmart to test the codes. It didn't work.. so that leads me to believe that computer is messed up. I ordered a new one, should be here tomorrow--we'll see if that fixes the problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Und go Irish!

My 94 is still not starting after I replaced the coil the ignition module, ignition switch , even changed the computer I tried to find somewhere to test the old one but couldn't find anywhere local I'm getting no spark at the coil I am clueless rite now I tried everything I can think of can the computer I had bought from a local auto parts store so it's not out of a junk yard
Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 PM
black stallion 1994

My 1994 gt mustang also is having the same problems I ain't getting a spark from the distributor I only get spark from my ignition coil any suggestions