5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Replacement Engine Less power then I thought I would have.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Madskillz306
2nd Gear Member

Default Replacement Engine Less power then I thought I would have.

Replacement Engine Less power then I thought I would have.

Replacement engine has lack of power, this engine in my buddys coupe ran 12.50's on engine and et streets and with nos ran 11.60's

I haven't taken it to the track or anything yet nor am I expecting a mircle but it simply doesn't pull like i thought it would. Mind you my buddy had a coupe i have a gt hatch more weight. I don't have gears or tire yet ethier and stock susp etc where as he had ethier 3:55 or 3:73 and et streets and lakewood susp etc. The roller rockers are I think abit noisy at idle not bad but while driving hear them more would this affect performance? I had afew buddys take a look and they don't feel they really need too much ajusting as too tight wouldn't be good etc. timing set perhaps maybe afew vacum leaks causing for power loss?

also have stock clutch fan and no shroud long story as shroud won't line up rubs tryed many times but will be putting elec fan on soon etc. I do have exhaust mac h-pipe with hi flow cats and flow masters still stock hears until my mac headers come in this week.

Given the factors above me having a hatch with still no decent tire/stock gears/stock headers/ perhaps small vacum leak/ clutch fan not elec and stock susp etc would you's think that the above is causing for my thoughts of having lack of power in which I thought there would be a huge difference. Sounds kick *** with the cam and exhaust with this new 306 engine etc but the engine itself doesn't pull all that much harder then my stock engine that i can tell.
Mine you I haven't went full out yet the ticking in the roller rockers drives me insane yet others think it's normal and i mean car nuts think it's normal.

Gonna take it to afew more stang nuts this weekend and maybe ajust the rockers but the mac headers on as stock sucks and i think these stock have a good leak going on, also i think afew vacum leaks but nothing major. also wanna get a decent tire elec fan and then after new center force clutch works in i'll pound on her abit. I just hope I'm overlooking something not thinking a micrle gonna happen but I know this should be pulling much harder then it is. Time in the making I suppose as still needs tweaking I hope to have a update.

Any thoughts or comments would be good to go.

Thanks Eric.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 PM
xgregrandomx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Replacement Engine Less power then I thought I would have.

The mods that you are missing or soon to get or what your friend hadbefore make pretty much all the difference the gears alone will prolly make the car pull as hard as it pulled in your friends car...even tho you have the power without the gears you cant use it efficently. when i changed my gears the difference was crazy everyone says it feels like taking 1000 pounds off your car. so dont get dissapointed you just need some gears!
Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Replacement Engine Less power then I thought I would have.

Yes a Grear is the best bang for your buck. I couldnt belive the difference when i put in 3:73's. EVERYONE MUST GET GEARS!!!!!