5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sequential Injection With MegaSquirt - Coil-on-Plug vs. Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Default Sequential Injection With MegaSquirt - Coil-on-Plug vs. Distributor

So I've been doing research into how to get my MS3X expansion card to do sequential injection for my Dart SHP based 347 stroker that's going into my Fox this spring/summer. I've got the MS assembled, and am currently scraping together the rest of the components that I need to get this build done - basically just the fuel & ignition components.

My hangup right now is on the ignition. The stock-style TFI distributor cannot properly trigger the MS due to the lack of cylinder 1 identification. None of the aftermarket 302 distributors that I can find with an appropriate triggering mechanism provide electronic advance, though, so even if I can get the right triggering signal into my MS, I can't use it to control spark advance and then the point is largely lost.

Digging further into the possibilities I've stumbled across the EDIS setup used in Explorers with 302's. I'm wondering if I can use an Explorer camshaft position sensor to send the trigger signal to the MegaSquirt, and then do a coil-on-plug setup. With the MS3X expansion board, there are enough outputs to support both sequential EFI and coil-on-plug.

Does anybody have advice for me on this front? I would welcome both suggestions for MegaSquirt-friendly 302 distributors, and the right hardware to get a nice coil-on-plug system going.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

DO A SEARCH for a member named rbarn.....he did such and used ls-1 coils iirc
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
DO A SEARCH for a member named rbarn.....he did such and used ls-1 coils iirc
Thanks mjr... did a quick search for a user by that name and didn't turn up anything. I'll keep poking around the forums for COP info.

It's looking more and more like the economical way for me to do this is with an Explorer cam position sensor and mod motor COP components. It'll probably end up being a bit cheaper, too... Explorer CPS is like $75 new.

I also found this featured Fox with COP ignition on 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...ski/index.html

There are some good pictures in there that show his setup... it looks like he's running with the Explorer CPS and mod motor coils. Looks like he had to fabricate some custom bracketry to mount the coils (not to mention the custom harness, but in my book wiring up a harness is easier than fabricating brackets).
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

he's active over on the corral, not so much here anymore :
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...85-r-barn.html

but search his threads here
Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Matt Cramer

The advance is built into the MegaSquirt, so you will not need an advance mechanism in the distributor. Most of your EFI "dual sync" distributors will work.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If an efi distributor doesn't know where number one is, then how does the computer know which fuel injector pulse?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

I ended up buying a DFI Dual Sync dizzy after finally figuring out that's what I needed from lots of research.

TrimDrip, I believe that the stock computer operates in batch mode? I'm not 100% sure about that. I do know that you can't get #1 identification from a stock distributor without modifying it.

I've got about $1300 left in parts that I need to complete this build, mostly odds and ends. I'll be sure to post up my experience once I'm done.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by mgmuscari
I ended up buying a DFI Dual Sync dizzy after finally figuring out that's what I needed from lots of research.

TrimDrip, I believe that the stock computer operates in batch mode? I'm not 100% sure about that. I do know that you can't get #1 identification from a stock distributor without modifying it.

I've got about $1300 left in parts that I need to complete this build, mostly odds and ends. I'll be sure to post up my experience once I'm done.
the stock computer does NOT fire batch.

good luck with the megasquirt. I ended up getting rid of mine after getting fed up with the lack of relevant support.

I love J3 tuners!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Matt Cramer

Stock TFI distributor has one vane shorter than the other seven for cylinder identification. The current MS3 firmware does not support this, but it may be added later.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt Cramer
Stock TFI distributor has one vane shorter than the other seven for cylinder identification. The current MS3 firmware does not support this, but it may be added later.
Finally some clear information on this. I couldn't figure out how the stock computer could possibly be firing in SEFI mode without some kind of #1 identification coming from the dizzy. Later EDIS systems use a crank and cam sensor in place of a dizzy if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong).

I already picked up the Dual Sync, otherwise I'd just go ahead and check out the MS3 source code, and see if I could write a module to process the input from the TFI dizzy. Being a computer scientist as well as an engineer has its virtues .

Quick Reply: Sequential Injection With MegaSquirt - Coil-on-Plug vs. Distributor