5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Speedo: Electrical or Manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default Speedo: Electrical or Manual

As the title emplies I am changing out my cluster for a set of guages. I am looking for a new Speedometer guage.

However, it is my understanding the 91 Mustang hatch I got has a speed sensor located on the transmission with both an electrical sensor for the computer and a manual cable which goes up through the firewall and to the speedometer guage.

Do I have to use a manual guage or can I use an electrical guage somehow and still let the computer know what the speed is as well?

I am looking at the Glowshift Elite 7 guages.

Any help on what exactly I'll need to do would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
ssj50driver

Originally Posted by stdyhand
As the title emplies I am changing out my cluster for a set of guages. I am looking for a new Speedometer guage.

However, it is my understanding the 91 Mustang hatch I got has a speed sensor located on the transmission with both an electrical sensor for the computer and a manual cable which goes up through the firewall and to the speedometer guage.

Do I have to use a manual guage or can I use an electrical guage somehow and still let the computer know what the speed is as well?

I am looking at the Glowshift Elite 7 guages.

Any help on what exactly I'll need to do would be appreciated. Thanks again!
I'm going to go by this is a manual trans, if not the following could easily be voided.

Is this a 5 speed or a 6 speed trans you have? I would stay mechanical as the electronic speedometer options are small and in a separate gauge in itself. Unless you are looking to do a florida50 style setup using individual gauges I would stick with mechanical. If you do have a six speed there is an adapter that I know for a fact d&d transmissions sells for them. About the computer, it gets the signal from the trans itself right? So if you had an electrical gauge that would not change where the computer gets the signal from. I could be wrong but I think this is where you want to be.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

94they went thru the ecm no longer used the pos drive spring! Urs is mechanical
Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ssj50driver
I'm going to go by this is a manual trans, if not the following could easily be voided.

Is this a 5 speed or a 6 speed trans you have? I would stay mechanical as the electronic speedometer options are small and in a separate gauge in itself. Unless you are looking to do a florida50 style setup using individual gauges I would stick with mechanical. If you do have a six speed there is an adapter that I know for a fact d&d transmissions sells for them. About the computer, it gets the signal from the trans itself right? So if you had an electrical gauge that would not change where the computer gets the signal from. I could be wrong but I think this is where you want to be.
Yes it is a 5 speed and yes I will be going with a Florida50 style cluster setup. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the right guage because the speed sending unit looks to have both an electrical plug and mechanical cable.