5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5-Speed To Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 01:46 AM
BadHabitJR

Default RE: 5-Speed To Auto

Hey thanks, and thanks. I have had those air fresheners for like 2 years and they still smell!!!! Good Stuff:-) O. and who is this "Quik" Guy?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:50 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

He's on here like every day. I'm actually surprised that he hasn't responded yet. Just give it time. He'll probably be on here tonight.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:57 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

wow ya thats nice. real nice.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:45 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

yeah man, before my cousin gave me his stang(which my dad bought for him for a graduation present) m dream car was a 98 240sx with an sr20det swap. but my cousin gave me his stang so i said alright ill just take it. and now its a really fun car. especially around turns! haha well in the future, ill probably get a 240 with a s14 or s15 swap.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 AM
WizardBlack
1st Gear Member

I'd been told that you need the ECU from the AOD car on top of which there is a harness that plugs into the ECU which is necessary to get the AOD ECU to pass all self check tests that isn't present in a 5 speed chassis.

Mark
Old 08-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

clean looking car. with a aod to t5 you can use a aod computer it has a better fuel curve. now for t5 to auto you should have to swap to an A9P. some have gotten lucky and was able to use APL. also there are wires that need to be hooked up for the AOD. its not electronic but still has some wires going to it. best bet is to find someone and completetly swap harness with them. or you could just find out where each wire needs to go and how it needs hooked up and do it that way.

Xmember is the same,starter can be used from a T5,tranny mount can be used,you will need a tranny cooler, Driveshaft can be used,console and console trim can be used. you can use the manual pedals for now if you want to. it doesnt matter if the clutch pedal is there or not. just tie it up out of the way. you will need a flex plate, starter plate will be needed[its the metal shim that goes between block and tranny]
Old 08-31-2005, 10:54 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I'll trade you! Anything you need I'll let you have for your stuff, you can even keep your harness, I just need a T5, bellhousing, flywheel, & clutch cable.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well, I just did a auto to T-5 swap, so I basically have all the parts you need, minus this little stick thing that attached to the shifter that goes into the abyss of the center console...

It's really small and I doubt it does anything important, because I can see where all the essential parts are and I have all of that available...

If you want to buy all of it from me, but I don't really want to have to ship it, transporting the tranny will be a royal pain in the ***...

Anyway, you'll need a new crossmember, but I think the computer is the same, it will "mesh" fine with the same computer. All the kick-down, throttle position sensor stuff is done manually, not through a computer. There is actually a cable that goes from the throttle controls that hook up to the tranny to control all of that, so the computer doesn't really do anything, so it's the same computer for the T-5 and auto I think.

The only sheet metal modification I see you needing is the hole in the tranny tunnel for the shifter on a T-5 is either bigger, or further forward than on an Auto, and there should be some tapped holes for the shifter to bolt into.

Other than that, all the mods seem to be bolt ons. Even the same starter will work on both the manual and automatical flywheels...

Ford made it pretty simple, but a lot of muscle and long nights will be needed, and expect your car to be full of greasy fingerprints by the time you're done, but that car looks so waxed it'll probably all wipe right off, lol.

If you have any more questions, let me know. Here is the website to where I'm advertising the sale of the automatic tranny stuff:

http://mm5.50megs.com/aod.html
Old 09-01-2005, 04:59 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh, and you're going to need to relocate the speedometer cable, and some of the holes where the brackets screw into, such as where the aod dip stick tube is held to the body will need to be punched out. I think the hole is kind of there, but plugged up.

I'm missing some of the hardware, like a few small bolts and stuff, but nothing you can't easily get from ACE hardware...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

tranny member is the same. its just that the welds need to be grinded down and respotted. thats why when you buy a new member they arent welded in place yet

the computers are different i know this for a fact and not just guessing, and have different mapping in them. auto computer will run fine and even better with a manual. a manual computer may or may not run the auto. ive heard stories of them not working well

TPS is read from teh computer
there isnt a kick down on a AOD, its called a TV cable and it controls line pressure

auto doesnt have afly wheel it has a flexplate

and there are sensors on the tranny that plug into the harness and in which go back to the computer

Quick Reply: 5-Speed To Auto