Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
StevoX1
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 93 Mustang LX Hatch
Default No start, only a click

Ive noticed that the 93 stang has been taking just a few seconds longer to start recently, then today, no start at all.

Turned the key and only got a single click.

Doesnt seem to be the battery because the lights, alarm and stereo still work.
Could it possibly be the starter or solenoid? The click i get seems to be coming from the top of the bay so i'm hoping its just a bad solenoid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Vehicle: 04 Ford F150

Did you try jumping it - there might be a little juice left in the battery to power some of your accessories.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
pbfoot

Vehicle: 2005 ford mustang v-6

Sounds like solenoid to me,but a low battery will do the same thing.Need to invest in a volt meter if you are going to be a motor head.Good battery will be at a minimum 12.65 volts with engine off.Running voltage at battery should be 13.6 to 14.3.The solenoid is a wear item just like the battery.My 91 eats a battery every 3 years even with a high amp alternator.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7STANG View Post
Did you try jumping it - there might be a little juice left in the battery to power some of your accessories.
I would at least try jumping it before you write the battery off completely.
speedkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 LX

bad/loose battery cables will do this too. enough juice to power the lights, and power the solenoid/relay but not enough current flow to crank the car over. make sure they're nice and tight and also free of any high resistance
Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
95Five-ohh
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 95 Ford Mustang Gt

All this is really good advice. I would definitely invest in a cheap multimeter and test everything before just going out and buying brand new parts. I had to learn the hard way myself!
95Five-ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988, Ford, GT

if you have rust build up on your terminals that could be a problem too. make sure you clean them.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988 Mustang GT

I had the same problem recently, where the lights would still come on. I did the starter and nothing. I then had the battery tested and when i hooked it up, somehow it fried my wires and solenoid. I went and got a new solenoid and cables and it still didn't start. I took the battery back and it tested bad. When i put on the new batter it started, but woulnd't shut off until I pulled the battery cable off. So i started it again and tapped on solenoied and it would shut off. I replaced the solenoid again and problem gone.

I just started throwing stuff on to fix it, but Im thinking it was mostly likely a bad solenoid, battery or possibly the cables.

Mac CAI, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, BBK Shortys, BBK X-pipe,
Magnaflow catback, MM Steering Shaft, UD pullies.
camaroeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1986 Ford Mustang GT

the battery certainly could be the problem, but if you have loose/bad connections, USUALLY when you get that click it'll shut off the vehicle entirely because the connections jar. You may also have a bad solenoid, it could also be a bad starter motor. If you determine the battery isn't the problem have someone tap the starter with a hammer while someone else tries to start, if it starts then the starter motor is your problem
mustangGT86_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
06, 1990, 50, 93, battery, click, clicking, clicks, crank, cyl, ii, mustang, single, start, starting, wont