5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

solenoid not workin

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Default solenoid not workin

Does any one have any ideas why a sloenoid wouldnt work properly? I mean its a brand new solenoid and works perfectly fine when just the starter cable is on it but as soon as i put any other wires on it it wont even crank..im guessing process of elimination to make sure its any of the wires or just a certain one that messes it up but just frustrated this isnt a repost its more of a specific post i posted recently bout a couple issues an i liked the toggle switch idea someone said but i think running the car as is is not letting my alternator charge an the only way it will run is when all the wires to the solenoid get constant power (except the starter cable) i might be having two different problems but not sure im using this link : http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...ease-help.html to help diagnos the alternator problem but just have a feeling its all good its just something bout this solenoid problem...i dont have any cut or spliced wires under my dash or on the harness from what i can tell so any ideas??

this what car looks like

Last edited by marlyman; 03-25-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 PM
pete88gt
1st Gear Member

how expensive is a solenoid really...they're cheap. go get another one, man made parts don't always turn out like they're supposed to. And if it is a new solenoid bought from say O'reilly's, it should have some kind of a warranty. It can't hurt.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

uhhg its gotta be like my ignition module? or some sensor or something because as i said above the solenoid works when i give constant power to everything else.. an i just tried process of elimination an with just the battery cable giving constant to the solenoid an the starter alone it didnt crank but as soon as i put the main yellow wire on constant it'll crank with the key so i try putting the other wires lke fuel pump an 2 others on the same correct spot as the starter cable but they dont get power an it doesnt crank...uhgg guess i'll go try to buy a new solenoid even tho im tight for cash been saving up to get my license back so i can drive this damn thing i'll see what the new solenoid does but otherwise any ideas on what would make the solenoid not give power when key is in on position????? ignition module????
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

shoot cant be ignition module i just replaced it an put it on a brand new distributor..i get spark an fuel an it runs but only by giving all the wires minus starter cable constant power.. battery gets drained quick like that so dunno if my alternator is not charging or what..i tried pulling my battery cable off while it was running an it just shut off so alt must not be working ..would that be because of how the wires are hookd ujp on the solenoid? uhg asking the same question million times my bad.................
Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Ok now im really confused....on the solenoid the battery goes to one side an the starter cable goes on the other. now the power/fuelpump/other wires go to the same side as the starter cable correct?? i found these wiring diagrams an im just confused because it looks like in the diagrams all the wires go onto the battery side of the solenoid which is constant power... im confused uuuuuuuuuuhhg
Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 PM
lafd5246
2nd Gear Member

What happens if you turn your key to "RUN" and cross the two center posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:55 AM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

if i use a screwdriver it would bypass the solenoid an give a constant power to all wires on the starter cable side...i assume it would run until i took the screwdriver off which id have to pretty quick because the starter would be engaging..i will try tomorrow an hopefully its not raining..makes me think its just the solenoid thats bad an the alternator isnt charging because of the voltage regulator is shorted/fried...dont those diagrams say that all the wires go to battery side of solenoid? this is my 5th mustang an i know that all the wires go to the starter cable side of the solenoid... right?? i dont see why the solenoid works with the key when only the starter cable is on one side an all wires are on the battery side even when the fuel pump wire is on battery side it doesnt come on until i put key in the on position im like flabergasted / dumbfounded
Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 AM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

go get your alternator tested your battery shouldnt be draining go from there then shoot wires
Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 AM
lafd5246
2nd Gear Member

I've had a lot of fords from the eighties, and at some point every one if them ha had a solenoid go out. I may be wrong, but every time I've had a vehicle not start until I crossed the solenoid, that was the problem. Plus it's ten bucks and ten minutes.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 PM
1987gt40ttop
1st Gear Member

did you ever check the park/nue saftey switch? or the clutch safty? w.e u have, but i remember you saying you had an alarm and remote start, with remote start the switches are fed so that the ignition switch can be closed without the key being in the run position, when you get in the car and take the key and put it in the run position w/ out touching the brake the interlock is switched off and the car will run like normal again. i would take a look at the saftey switch to see if its be altered for the alarm/remote and restore it to original and you should be able to operate everything like the wiring diagram