Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989 Ford Mustang GT
Default swap a bent axle?

So I need to swap out a bent axle tomorrow, and not that I'm thinking about the nitty gritty details, I'm wondering how much of a job this will be.

Do I need to remove the pinion shaft from the diff to do this? I was hoping I could just remove the c-lock from the old axle end, slide it out, replace the housing end bearing and seal, and slide the new axle in without actually disassembling the diff. Is this possible? I really don't want to have to reset everything in the diff. In fact, whether or not I would have to disassemble the carrier to do this would determine whether I'm going to put the thing on a flatbed and have it towed to a shop, or do it in my garage. I don't want to crack open the diff to see and find out that i just have to seal it back up and take it to a shop (I'm not ready to set up my diff from scratch myself this weekend, or any time in the near future).
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
  • TKO-600, FRPP 3.73's & trak-lok, Moser 31-spline axles
  • MegaSquirted 347 stroker machined by Woody @ FordStrokers coming soon!
mgmuscari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 mustang gt

Pull your diff cover remove c clip remove wheel brake rotor and anything else attached to the Axel
trick flow twist wedge heads
edlebrock intake
70mm throttlebody
b303 cam about to be trickflow stage 2 cam
3.73 gears
bbk cai
mac longtubes
comp cams 1.6 rockers
mmlca

Last edited by nightmare90gt; 03-31-2011 at 07:44 PM.
nightmare90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1986 Ford Mustang GT

It's very simple actually, and while nightmare90gt is right, there is a bit more to it than that. Start by removing the wheel and drum from the side that you need to remove unless you already have the axle out. Take off the cover and let all the oil drain. After that you need to remove a small bolt on the carrier which holds the center pin in place, but be careful because these small bolts some times do break. Once you get the center pin out, press the axle in (it'll slide pretty easily) and remove the C-clip from the inner of the shaft. After that, remove the shaft, its pretty much just that easy. You may consider replacing the wheel bearing and at very least the wheel seal. Just make sure you have posi additive handy when you put the oil back in or just get gear oil with it already in.
mustangGT86_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1989 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare90gt View Post
Pull your diff cover remove c clip remove wheel brake rotor and anything else attached to the Adelaide
So in short I can get enough clearance to yank the c-clip without pulling the pinion shaft, s spring, clutch packs or anything... I don't need to screw with the diff itself. Excellent.
  • TKO-600, FRPP 3.73's & trak-lok, Moser 31-spline axles
  • MegaSquirted 347 stroker machined by Woody @ FordStrokers coming soon!
mgmuscari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1990, 2000, 2005, 2010, 89, axle, axles, bent, clip, disassemble, ford, housing, mustang, remove, removing, swapping