5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anyone running gt40 iron heads? help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
NineFour5.0

Default Anyone running gt40 iron heads? help please!

I recently picked up a pair of gt40 heads off an Explorer for $100, i know i need to get them machined, but i was wondering would i need to get them milled to retain my compression, if so how much? also what cam and size RR i should use, i know if i get them milled i may have clearance issues if i go to big of cam, and 1.7 rr, just help me out on whats a good proven setup with these heads, i plan on DIY port job , full bolt ons , 24lb injector / MAF, ported lower gt40, 70mm tb, and a dyno tune when its all done. any help will be greatly appreciated
Thank you !!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Full port job?
Be ready to spend a minimum of 40-50 hours with the die grinders.
I know this as I've ported iron heads before.
Forget the little Dremel tool BTW, they won't work.
You need at least 3 die grinders (air) and enough compressor to allow you to work.
Also you need some way to measure what you are doing, get a 100cc burette kit for that job.
Have fun........
Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 AM
NineFour5.0

Originally Posted by tinman
Full port job?
Be ready to spend a minimum of 40-50 hours with the die grinders.
I know this as I've ported iron heads before.
Forget the little Dremel tool BTW, they won't work.
You need at least 3 die grinders (air) and enough compressor to allow you to work.
Also you need some way to measure what you are doing, get a 100cc burette kit for that job.
Have fun........
yeah im prepared for that lol im not in a rush to have them slapped on, besides my bow tie buddies has done all his chevy's and he's gonna do most of the work, besides the port work i need input on on what cam, rr, and how much should i have them milled. any help would be appreciated
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by NineFour5.0
I recently picked up a pair of gt40 heads off an Explorer for $100, i know i need to get them machined, but i was wondering would i need to get them milled to retain my compression, if so how much? also what cam and size RR i should use, i know if i get them milled i may have clearance issues if i go to big of cam, and 1.7 rr, just help me out on whats a good proven setup with these heads, i plan on DIY port job , full bolt ons , 24lb injector / MAF, ported lower gt40, 70mm tb, and a dyno tune when its all done. any help will be greatly appreciated
Thank you !!
TFS track heat intake, Comp Cams XE276HR, those heads, 1.7 Roller rockers

As for the machining on the heads. Tell the machinist that the heads should be decked for straightness and machined to a 63-64cc chamber. Make sure you get them cleaned and pressure checked as well.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:17 AM
NineFour5.0

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
TFS track heat intake, Comp Cams XE276HR, those heads, 1.7 Roller rockers

As for the machining on the heads. Tell the machinist that the heads should be decked for straightness and machined to a 63-64cc chamber. Make sure you get them cleaned and pressure checked as well.
thanks man for the straight answer lol should i do that before i have them ported or after?.. i also already have the explorer intake, in which im gonna port the lower, do you think that would be agood combo in place of the tfs intake?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 PM
adshr

are they the gt40 or the gt40p cause the gt40p are a 59cc chamber i think
Old 04-24-2011, 01:28 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

id rather run the TFS myself... but if money is tight, the exploder will be fine.

have the machine work done after you port them... that way the "cleaning" will get out any dbris YOU miss. You will also have to have the spring pockets machined or new springs.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM
NineFour5.0

Originally Posted by adshr
are they the gt40 or the gt40p cause the gt40p are a 59cc chamber i think
They are gt40 not p.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:12 PM
NineFour5.0

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
id rather run the TFS myself... but if money is tight, the exploder will be fine.

have the machine work done after you port them... that way the "cleaning" will get out any dbris YOU miss. You will also have to have the spring pockets machined or new springs.
oh ok thanks man i really appreciate the help, i plan on getting new springs rr and everything to go with it, do you think the tfs1 cam would work well with that set up?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

tfs stage 1 would be great but make sure you check ptv clearance. lift on that cam is with stock rockers. they say 1.7's might hit i dont think so... only on a 2.02 valve but thats just an opinion based on nothing

what gt40 lower do you have ? if it ends in BA sell it and get one that ends in AA

you'll save yourself 20 hours in port work probably.

The BA is .96"x1.65" and the AA is 1.00" x 1.80"

Quick Reply: Anyone running gt40 iron heads? help please!