5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Budget turbo!

Old 08-29-2005, 04:31 AM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Default Budget turbo!

I just picked up a 1995 mustang gt for $1200. Me and my buddies are toying with the idea of putting a turbo on it. The gt has 98,000 miles on it and runs great. Clutch is about to go but that's another story. I just got it cheap b/c the paint's really bad and interiors trashed. I already have a 1995 mitsubishi eclipse gs-t so I do know a lil bit about turbos. I'm thinking that to run about 4-5 psi I would need a:
1. Turbo(not sure what kind is big enough to support a 302 ci v8)
2. Manual boost controller
3. Maybe a intercooler although it doesn't need it.
4. Boost gauge(to know how much boost I'm building)
5. Custom piping to route from the turbo to intake
6. Upgraded fuel pump
7. Upgraded fuel injectors
8. BOV(blow off valve)

I'm thinking it might be easiest to run it somewhere near the back or after the exhaust manifold and then route the compressed air back into the intake. I've seen it done on LT1 z28's all the way back by the axle to the front so I know it's possible. So what do you guys think? Did I miss any big things? or any things at all? Is this idea feasible AT ALL?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Budget turbo!

doing twins are cheaper and easy...head over to www.turbostangs.com for more info
Old 08-29-2005, 08:22 AM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

Get a turbo with a external wastegate, they come preloaded. I think they come preloaded to like 7psi, if you get a MBC they car will boost to 7psi at the lowest. You will need a intercooler, a turbo spins alot faster then a SC because of its size, thus creating heat. Why not put the turbo near the engine? There is enough room, the ls1 guys do it because there is no room under the hood?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:06 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

1. Two Turbochargers
2. Fuel Management Unit (10:1 or 12:1) or a Fuel Pressure Regulator
3. Bigger Fuel Pump
4. Blow Off or Bypass Valve
5. Boost Gauge
6. Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
7. Fuel Pressure Gauge (mechanical or electrical)
8. NTP brass fittings for oil drain
9. Manual Boost Controller
10. Oil feed line (-3an stainless hose w/out fittings on ends)
11. 1/2" rubber oil drain hose
12. Turbo Piping

If you choose the fuel pressure regulator over the fuel management unit. You will have to get a tune before you can drive it, but it will create more power in the end. Not a huge amount, but still a difference.

Try to get two turbochargers with a 60MM compressor wheel with a .60 A/R compressor & a similar size on the exhaust side. & this size will give a little room for improvement, before you have to up the size of the turbos. For stock try to stick around 50MM & .50 A/R. The Automatic T-bird turbo coupe has good turbos for a stock 5.0. The 5 speed turbo coupe has good turbos for an engine that has been built a little (around 270hp) .60 A/R

Putting the turbo far back on the car will make it less efficient. That setup with the turbo in the rear only works because they have special turbochargers & the setup is less efficient than a normal setup because of more backpressure. The closer the turbo is the engine, the better.

If I were you I would find two or three used DSM intercoolers from the salvage yard & weld the 3 cores together, or find one off of a diesel truck & cut it in half. Then fabricate the rest. Not a hard process.

You can get a turbo with an external or internal wastegate, either will work. The external setup if done right will create lots more power.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:40 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Just curious, how much is a fuel management unit? I've never heard of it.

EDIT: Also, what's the best way to install the turbos?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:30 PM
link1235jeff
2nd Gear Member

i have a fmu im selling i just dont know if my paypal will let people put money in i know i can buy stuff with is but never sold anything with

but what the a/r on the turbo u have it might be to small to do a single with it
Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

what happen'd to budget turbo setup? you can go to any good turbo rebuilder and find a cheap set up.....running 6-8 psi can come cheaply
Old 08-29-2005, 11:44 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfast

what happen'd to budget turbo setup? you can go to any good turbo rebuilder and find a cheap set up.....running 6-8 psi can come cheaply
That's what i want! lol I just wasn't sure what it was. So back to the basics......what is the bare minimum I would need to install a turbo system on my gt?

All creative ideas welcomed!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 PM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

You can find a 13t turbo from the WRX forums really cheap, it compares to the size of a 15g turbo or a stock supra turbo. You can find a cheap BOV since you arent running a lot of boost, find a intercooler at a junk yard, make sure the fins arent bent up, you can make your own piping for the intercooler, im not sure how to hook it to the exhaust manifold, you have to get coolant lines(Inlet and Return) Oil lines(Inlet and Return) and do the plumbing for them, and some type of fuel management, you dont need a MBC because the wastegate comes preloaded and you arent planning on turning up the boost yet. Thats all i can think of right now off the top of my head.

EDIT: you can find the turbos for around 200 almost brand new from the STI guys. Id suggest getting 2 its actually easier to setup. Plus they have virtually no lag!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:55 AM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

doing twins are cheaper and easy...head over to www.turbostangs.com for more info
Yeah this was done on a Fox but its worth reading (its in the junkyard performance thread). Twin Turbo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Budget turbo!