5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Exhaust dripping

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust dripping

Hey guys, I have a 1995 GT with an offroad xpype. so yesterday i was driving
it around for a good 2hrs or so, and i noticed that the smell of gas became way stronger than usual. I mean i could really smell it inside the car. so i pulled over and i checked the exhaust. I say a small wet spot on the ground under the tips near the wheels, so it wasnt dripping out of the tips completely. I dipped my finger in the puddle expecting it to be water from normal condensation from the exhaust, becuase that's what it always was before. But this time, it was a brownish fluid, which smelled like gas. So i'm guessing it was a mixture of oil and gas. so I drove home instantly, and when i got home, there was no drips. I'm wondering what the problem could be.

Additional info-when i first got the car like 5 months ago, there was practically no engine oil left, so when i refilled it, i put just a little too much in, so the dipstick showed that i had overfilled it by like a quarter of an inch. Maybe this has something to do with it?

I also average around 12.5-13 miles to the gallon...so i'm wondering if that is a result of the engine running rich or something

Last edited by giosoccer20; 05-01-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
mstroker

probably running rich, it IS efi right? is CEL on?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by giosoccer20

I also average around 12.5-13 miles to the gallon...so i'm wondering if that is a result of the engine running rich or something
no, that would be a result of you enjoying a 5.0
if you wanted to be fuel conscience you would be driving 55 on the freeway and slowly merging. do you do that ?????
Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ARRRRRHHHHHH !!! this site is p!$$ing me off lately
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

attempt #3

Hey guys, I have a 1995 GT with an offroad xpype. so yesterday i was driving
it around for a good 2hrs or so, and i noticed that the smell of gas became way stronger than usual. I mean i could really smell it inside the car

your exhaust should exit even raw fuel out thre back...so smelling it inside would ....to me....indicate a broken pipe
Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

apparently i gotta do a quote at a time not in 1 post....

Additional info-when i first got the car like 5 months ago, there was practically no engine oil left, so when i refilled it, i put just a little too much in, so the dipstick showed that i had overfilled it by like a quarter of an inch. Maybe this has something to do with it?
no above the hatchmarks is normal
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 AM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mstroker
probably running rich, it IS efi right? is CEL on?
yes it's EFI, and no, no check engine light
Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 AM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
no, that would be a result of you enjoying a 5.0
if you wanted to be fuel conscience you would be driving 55 on the freeway and slowly merging. do you do that ?????
LOL that is very true. i dont even know the meaning of driving 55 and merging slowly. what language is that?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 AM
giosoccer20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
attempt #3

your exhaust should exit even raw fuel out thre back...so smelling it inside would ....to me....indicate a broken pipe
yea the xpypes are notorious for hanging low, and i have scraped them going across speed bumps 3-4 times, but the last time was around 2 months ago, and i just noticed this problem. And also, what about the fact that the fluid was brownish? It didn't seem like straight gas. Gasket maybe??
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

You sure the tailpipe hasn't melted the fuel line running from the tank to the frame? They are real close with my 2.5" Magnaflow tailpipes.

Quick Reply: Exhaust dripping