5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

aod to c4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default aod to c4 swap

i know there is a million of these online. trust me, ive read them all. i just want to talk to somebody(s) who has actually done this them self, and had to deal with any problems, trouble shoot, ect. im thinkin of getting the c4 from tci. much better price than performance automactics. i just keep reading mixed review bout how you can turn the crossmember arond and use it, and how you can and cant use the factory shifter and flex plate, and how you do and dont have to get a different drive shaft, and how to get the big bell housing, ect ect ect. my mind is going a million directions. i really like the price of the tci c4 compared to the lentech aod but if i have to spend a ton of money to make the c4 work, then im just going with the aod. any help? anyone have a rock solid link? step by step instructions? thanks
Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

you can use your AOD flex plate. You can use your drive shaft some use a spacer on it at the rear but I never have and have had no issues. you can use your crossmember cut the weld around the tubes and it will slide back and forth. your shifter I dont know. you will need a big bell 164 tooth for the trans also.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:44 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

your saving money on the tci trans because tci sucks.
it's cheap for a reason, and lentech is more expensive for a reason.

now it is a c4... so your better than a tci aod but..... i think this is where money is well spent
Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
your saving money on the tci trans because tci sucks.
it's cheap for a reason, and lentech is more expensive for a reason.

now it is a c4... so your better than a tci aod but..... i think this is where money is well spent
so u think the lentech aod is better than the tci c4? the lentech aod is about 1150 dollars more expensive, plus shipping. tci has free shipping, i just thought tci was a well known trans builder
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

i wish i could just buy all the parts from lentech and bring it to a local tranny shop and have it done.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 PM
4rdnut
1st Gear Member

get a pa (performance automatic) C4 transmission from holcomb motorsports, they have cheap shipping and the complete aod to c4 swap kit. The manual valve body super comp model c4 is warranted for life and they will freshen up the trans after every race season for free. They will tell you exactly what you need and take the aod trans and throw it off a cliff, lol.

Last edited by 4rdnut; 05-13-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4rdnut
get a pa (performance automatic) C4 transmission from holcomb motorsports, they have cheap shipping and the complete aod to c4 swap kit. The manual valve body super comp model c4 is warranted for life and they will freshen up the trans after every race season for free. They will tell you exactly what you need and take the aod trans and throw it off a cliff, lol.
why wouldnt i just buy it straight from pa website? and thats pretty expensive for that kit. i would just go with the top model lentech aod for that price no fab work, could use stock auto shifter, no messin with the crossmember. its rated at like 1500hp. i just really like the price of the c4. if they were the same price, i would hands down go with the aod. so torn
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Modular_Madness
Banned

Ive got a PA C4 in my 89 coupe.

What i did was when i bought the tranny i also had jegs send me an SFI speced flexplate from PA that matched my 88 roller motors 50oz imbalance.suprisingly it fits two fords and two gm trannies according to the literature that came with it.

The crossmember is an oem peice from jegs also and didnt require any mods it bolted directly up.But i did go from 4-8 setup and the car originally had an A4LD but i dont see why that would matter.

As for the PA tranny ive got over 300 passes (1/8) on the one in my 84 coupe with no issues.Run a huge cooler if youre going to hot lap like we do.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Modular_Madness
Banned

I will tell you i like to cruise my vehicles on the road a lot and the C4 combined with the 4.10's in the 8.8 out back dont like to high way cruise.at 55mph im turning 3,000rpm.Which wouldnt be bad except im carbed so i can literally watch the gas gauge move.

Im personally going to eventually convery to a manual gear box but cant swing the price of the 6 speed.

I dont know how much street time youre going to see but if you got tall gears beefing up the aod may be a smarter choice and keep the od.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 AM
4rdnut
1st Gear Member

buying direct from pa costs 400 dollars more per trans and shipping is double. holcomb motorsports must buy mass quanities to be so cheap, as far as lentech goes i have heard horror stories with customer service and warranty. I removed the aod cancer from my car and put a pa super comp c4 in and now have instant manual shifting that chirps 2nd and third gear easily. I don't need an overdrive, i have two other vehicles for traveling a far.

Last edited by 4rdnut; 05-14-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: aod to c4 swap