5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1986 to 1987 Brake Upgrade Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Default 1986 to 1987 Brake Upgrade Problem

I am doing a brake upgrade on my 86 foxbody. I have the spindles, rotors, bearings, pads, calipers, lines, ect.

The problem I'm having is that the area on the spindle where it bolts to the strut is spaced about 2mm too far out. I know there is supposed to be a gap, which there is, but the actual spacing between the bolts is too far out.

As you can see I can get one bolt in but the hole on the spindle is too high for the 2nd bolt to go in.

I bought the spindles off of eBay being told they were from an '89 GT. Everything else bolts up, including the calipers.

I'm trying to figure out what is going on before I have to fork out money for a new set of struts & then find out that they are not the problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

rock the spindle back into the strut, its sitting too far out (positive)
Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

I've tried almost everything as far as moving it around. No matter how I try to line it up it won't work. I tried putting the top bolt in first & I ran into the same problem. The spacing between the bolt holes seems to be different.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

sounds like youre screwed... time to either lengthen the holes (notice I did not say enlarge), or get new struts!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Can you think of any reason why the holes would be spaced differently? Is there another spindle that would fit an '87 caliper but not fit the strut mounting point?

My other concern now would be that the mounting position on a set of new struts would be the same as the ones I have now & I'd have to lengthen the holes on the new ones too.

Unless I hear any different I'll get one of those small circular files & raise the holes on the upper bolt holes.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

i know that new struts has a elongated top hole
Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Everyones Hero
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Can you think of any reason why the holes would be spaced differently? Is there another spindle that would fit an '87 caliper but not fit the strut mounting point?

My other concern now would be that the mounting position on a set of new struts would be the same as the ones I have now & I'd have to lengthen the holes on the new ones too.

Unless I hear any different I'll get one of those small circular files & raise the holes on the upper bolt holes.
You better be filing the strut and not the spindle...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tohoopty
i know that new struts has a elongated top hole
Maybe that's it. The thing that gets me is that I could only find 1 other post on another forum where someone had this same problem & it was dated over 5 years ago. I assumed the shocks would bolt right up sans a pair of washers.

You better be filing the strut and not the spindle...
Yes- I'll be filing the strut & not the spindle.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 PM
cerbow

You need to use "87" struts. Struts from an 86 will not bolt up to 87 spindles
Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 AM
cerbow

I would also use a 94-95 cobra master cylinder. I tried this conversion on my 86 without changing the master and had nothing but problems. Ended up going with the Willwood setup with the Cobra master and it works great so far

Quick Reply: 1986 to 1987 Brake Upgrade Problem