5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hard to shift into gears sometime, and grind on reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default hard to shift into gears sometime, and grind on reverse...

Hey, It usually grinds when I try to put it into reverse, and today, it was kind of hard to put it into 1st gear, I had to force it in almost.

I'm not too familiar with the manual, I think there is something called the synchronizers? Would that be the problem? And if so, what is the typical price to get that fixed?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:21 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hard to shift into gears sometime, and grind on reverse...

yeah mine does the same thing fer grindin into reverse. if you put it into first then into reverse it shud go in with out grinding, if it does want to go in put it into neutral an roll a lil or pull a head in 1 st then it shud go in. but about it not wanting to go into first im not even sure what that is.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:31 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

You were right about the synchros. Our reverse gears simply don't have 'em. I can't remember if reverse is the only gear that doesn't, but don't quote me on that. The only suggestion I have is to pull your clutch peddle backwards, this should adjust it. I don't think that is your problem, and that won't fix the common grinding, but it may help who knows. What I do is just ease it into reverse. I make sure the car is totally stopped, and in neutral for a second or two, then I just ease it into reverse. Correct me if I'm wrong fellas.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:06 PM
1BADASSLX
3rd Gear Member

it could be you sync mine grinded in 4th gear i rebuilt mine and there was no pad left on the 4th gear sync but as far as rebuilding your tranny it cost me about 55.00 for the bearing kit and 175.00 for the world class 1-2-3-4- and rever idler gear that cheap but i did it my self and i also work at a drive train shop so i got the parts at cost!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:06 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

yeah reverse has no synchros so its normal to grind there, just go to fifth then reverse.

the first gear thing is weird.. it isnt a synchro, if it grinds.. chances are its a synchro, but make sure you are stopped before trying to go into first.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:50 PM
5_0Muscle
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem, it was a pain to get into first. I either had to slam it or start in 2nd. Also my third gear was grinding. I rebuilt it, with help from my dad, and found out the pads that stop the gears were worn out. Rebuilt the transmission, its not too difficult if your mechanically inclide, also buy the Tape on Rebuilding the T5 from Hanlon Motorsports. http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/ Great tape describes everything excellently. However, my reverse still grinds, but thats due to the lack of a sychronizer. Good luck
Old 09-01-2005, 04:48 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

You guys are going to laugh, the problem was so simple. When I installed the tranny, I noticed the clutch cable was connected to the release lever thingy by only one nut. So I feared that nut would loosen itself after some driving, so I planned on going to ACE hardware and buying another nut to lock that one in place. Well, I bought the nut yesterday, but was not able to put it in, had to work, and this morning I had to go to a community college to make an appointment to take some tests required for Law Enforcement application, so I wasn't able to do it this morning.

Well, apparently I waited one day too long, today, while driving around, crusing pawn shops, the problem got so bad, I literally had to pull into the first car related place I saw, which was a dealership, because I cannot get it into first gear to save my life.

What I noticed, is that even with the clutch all the way down, if I start up the car while in gear, the car would roll forward or reverse, depending on if it on 1st gear or reverse, so that told me exactly what it was. My clutch cable nut worked loose, so loose that I was not fully engaging the clutch when I put the pedal to the floor.

So I did emergency surgery on my car, lol, I borrowed a scissor jack from the dealership, I know it's dangerous to go under my car while it's on a scissor jack with no jack stands and no wheel chocks, but this was an emergency. I got it just high enough for me to just get enough of me under the car to adjust that nut, tighten up the clutch cable a bit.

Well, I burned my wrist really bad on the exhaust pipe, I tried my best to avoid it, but accidentally touched it... twice... damn it hurts...

Anyway, problem is solved, first thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to put the 2nd nut on it to lock it in place...

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate the attempt to help anyhow. But it was just a stupid problem...
Old 09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
HO_85_GT

mine is doing the samething but i cant get into 2nd very well either. No grinding, just a very reluctant shifter. Trasns hasnt been out since ive had the car. At first it was an intermittent problem but now it seems like it is "gummy" all the time. any suggestions? Ive been told i may have bent the shift fork.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:09 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Yep, Demon I have been there. Luckily mine happened more gradually than yours, but I also had to throw another nut on there- Good to hear it's fixed.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:18 PM
LAGTStanger

Hey Demon - I had the same problem, which eventually got worse REAL QUICK! When the car was running, even with the clutch pedal all of the way in, the car would still move! Turned out that the clutch cable housing had failed, which in turn results in no real clutch cable movement. I replaced the cable and housing in the carport of my old apartment complex, and the other residents complained so much (about the tools and the mess and the ...) they darn near evicted me! It's all good now. Best of luck with that arm!

[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: hard to shift into gears sometime, and grind on reverse...