5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Easiest way to take off starter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default Easiest way to take off starter.

Im soooo F*cking Frustrated with this tranny swap!!! Turns out I cracked the damn bellhousing So I had to search every junk yard around here and ended up paying 90 dollars for one, Now I cant get the damn bell housing off because I cant get to one bolt on the top of the starter.

Can someone tell me whats the best way to get this damn bolt off? Please help im on my last string!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Easiest way to take off starter.

Patience here will save you more headache, so calm down... I speak from experience here...

While I haven't changed any Stang starters, I have done Pintos, Pickups, and others, so I have an idea what you're up against. I have had success getting those "hard to get at" bolts by using rachet and socket with several extensions, then reaching down along side of the motor from the front and over the cross member. This will be from under the car naturally.

Patience.....
Old 09-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Im trying to be patience but Im kinda on a time frame. I took the wheel off and exaust too and I still cant get to it. Damn wheel arms are in the way. Why in the hell would Ford place the bolts and starter there? Its one of the most replacable things done. Arg!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:44 PM
pro5.0stang
3rd Gear Member

its been like 2 yrs since ive done one, but from what i remember, you need a long extension and a swivel for your socket. it does suck
Old 09-01-2005, 08:50 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Why in the hell would Ford place the bolts and starter there? Its one of the most replacable things done. Arg!
Trust me, there are a LOT of things where Ford put things in not-so-convenient places. There's been more than once where I wished there was a Ford engineer standing nearby. If there was, there would be one less on Ford's payroll...[:@]

Wait until you have to change the turn signal flasher...[:@]
Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

So do I loop it through the wheel well? Im bout ready to break this damn thing. Now I hafta go to work, F*CK! I wanted to finish this today too or at least get the old bellhousing off.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

You need a rachet with very small teeth on the gears, meaning you don't need to move it a lot to get to the next notch to turn it more. I'm not sure what this is called, but those cheap rachets that comes with those 400 piece tool kits for $29.99 probably wouldn't cut it, not enough space to swing the arm around so much. You'll basically have to loosen it notch by notch until you can loosen it with your hand...

I think this is the only way to get to that one, but I could be wrong, my friend volunteered to do the starter while I did something else, but I think that's how he did it. I know it was a pain in the *** though...
Old 09-02-2005, 12:41 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Use a wrench.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 AM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

Use a wrench.
lol maybe he forgot ;x
Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Wrench wont fit. Not even the midget ones. Could a air rachet possible work? I have one but no extensions for half inch socket.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to take off starter.