5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine removal from trans...HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Default RE: Engine removal from trans...HELP PLEASE

Sounds like the trans won't come apart from the engine? Thats what I'm getting from this?

Well, if it's never been out of the car, then you can bet on this being difficult. Aside from the bolts that hold the trans onto the motor, there are also 2 dowls that hold the trans in place. They look like two steel bullets that just help keep the trans from twisting. Sometimes these are pretty difficult to seperate. You need to get a big flat head screwdriver, or a small crow bar...Carefully slip them into the little grooves that look like pry points, and tap the bar or screwdriver with a hammer. Just be careful that you don't break the bellhousing. You'll see what I'm talking about when it starts to come apart. You just have to work it off. Sometimes they get stuck together pretty good.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:50 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I have a wierd felling that you have disconnected the back half of the transmission. not something you want to do. If you are pulling the engine and trans out all you need to remove are the 2 motor mount bolts disconnect the trans from the trans crossmember and remove the drive shaft and the wiring harnes, ground straps and remove the engine. Do your self a favor and have someone help you that has removed a engine before I'd hate for you to break something in the transmission.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:44 AM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

the 6 bolts he is talking about is the tail housing guys. i work at a tranny shop so yeah, and yeah i took a motor out of the 95 that i got the rear end from( it was wrecked btw) and hell yeah the tranny took me like 30 mintues to pull out with air tools and a lift and all you have to do with teh motor is wither unbolt teh big bolt or the 4 smallones that conenct to the block itself and all the electricals
Old 09-04-2005, 01:46 AM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

also, the drive shaft will not come out easy like that becasue you need to pull it out of the shaft inside the transmission. just take off the 4 12mm12point bolts taht conenct to the rear end. and BECAREFUL use a 12 point socket, not a 6 point. if you ruin the head of the bolt on those things, you are in deep SHlT
Old 09-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Cobra Owner At 19
2nd Gear Member

yea i did disconnect the back half of the trans, had a feelin it wasnt were i thought it was, i didnt get it far apart at all so i hope its ok. you people are the only people i know of that have pulled engines before but my neighbor is an old for tech who is sure handy to have around, we were under the impression that we were gonna disconnect it from the bellhousin. god does not like to let you do that so he placed the bolts in unfreindly places. tommrow im goin to disconnect the header/exhaust system and disconnect the tranny mount and then monday its my neighbors turn to bring the breaker bar over.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Yah, don't do that. Put the transmission back together, and do what we've been telling you. Remove the driveshaft the way I told you to. Then unbolt the tranny from the crossmember, then the engine and transmission should come out all in one piece, you might have to keep changing the angle, pull forward, change angle, raise, drop, etc. Basically, take it inch by inch, then look at where it might catch, adjust accordingly, then inch some more, etc. etc.

It's not TOO hard, if I had an engine hoist, an engine stand, and another car to drive everyday, I will pull my engine and redo everything... Would like to rebuild my engine one day...

Anyway, you also would not need to take off the headers, just disconnect your midpipe from the headers and take the engine out with headers still attached...